Hollis vs. HOG BP/W - Purchasing new gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my younger years I used to restore Vespas, ended up with a job as manager of Vespa shop, most of my salary went straight back in the register. I've no doubt working in a dive store would result in the same poverty.

I believe Hollis 38 has the same bungee cord inside as my Hollis 25. If you're not fond of those, the good news is you can open the shell, untie the knot and pull it out -- no more "internal retraction system".

That must have been added in later models. My wing is a few years old and I am pretty sure it doesn't have anything like that.

how did you determine those two brands were the ones you were looking at? I'm personally not a fan of either of them.

Mainly as they're sold locally here and are more affordable. I had a look at the links you sent, but I'm hesitant to purchase online/internationally in case issues occur later on.

---------- Post added September 15th, 2015 at 04:31 PM ----------

How did you determine that 32 or 38 lbs of lift is appropriate for your application?

Tobin

Most of my diving is going to be in relatively cold waters with a 8mm/7mm wetsuit. I currently use AL tanks but plan to eventually use steel tanks. I hope to eventually get into wreck diving and would like a system that I can advance with.

Given that, what would you guys recommend?

I'd still recommend a DSS rig. While it's a bit more expensive, he has bolt on weight plates that can help take more lead off of your weight belt, and the products are built at a higher quality. If you are concerned about internationally, I would highly recommend you take a trip to Dan's Dive Shop in St. Catharines, which is not only a truly top notch dive shop, Matt et al are spectacular, but they also happen to be a Deep Sea Supply dealer...

That must have been added in later models. My wing is a few years old and I am pretty sure it doesn't have anything like that.

Hollis sold 3 models of singles wings that I am aware of. The first model required an STA, the second didn't, the third had the bungee system.

---------- Post added September 15th, 2015 at 12:45 PM ----------

Most of my diving is going to be in relatively cold waters with a 8mm/7mm wetsuit. I currently use AL tanks but plan to eventually use steel tanks. I hope to eventually get into wreck diving and would like a system that I can advance with.

Given that, what would you guys recommend?

If you want to get into cold water wreck diving then you will probably migrate to double tanks and use a drysuit. With doubles you need to purchase a new wing.

Back
Top Bottom