Just got certified!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations. There are those divers out there, without a doubt. Big part of the reason my buddy circle is pretty small.

My daughter was certified just a few weeks ago as well. Her dives were much less eventful than yours sounds. Only one issue, and it answered a question I had while watching the class. As they were doing their drills, I hung out away from the class, and got to wondering what would happen with these new divers in an actual emergency. They went through several regulator retrieval drills, and did well. But it's a different task to retrieve a regulator when an instructor has you remove it yourself versus an unplanned event.

My question was answered during the last dive. While swimming around, one of the other divers got too close to my daughter and managed to knock her regulator out of her mouth. It went into freeflow and ended up well behind her. She looked for it briefly, and when she didn't have it in her hand right away, she grabbed her backup, cleared, and resumed breathing. By that point, I was there, got her regulator settled, handed it to her, and she switched back. Handled well in my opinion. One of her instructors was a little further behind, saw it all, and was pretty impressed with how she handled it.

First congrats on your cert. second always remember the things that happen to you and others. They are experiences that will stick with you and always remind you to check gear, good buddy practices ect. There was so much that was wrong with what you saw in that diver. It could be you one day and probably will in some instances. Fortunately that diver got some assistance before it grew to a rescue situation. Loose tanks are not uncommon and tough to deal with without someones help. What went through you mind as you watched this progress and how will it affect your future diving.

3 things

1. every dive is a learning dive.

2. OOA is the only real emergency, everything else is just an annoyance to deal with.

3. When you do your AOW class it will be more meaningful.

Just got my open water certification yesterday. So excited! Dive 3 was interesting to say the least...We dove the wreck ancient mariner in South FL. After doing compass navigation we started back to the mooring line. Saw some lady entering the wreck, meanwhile her tank was unstrapped and was starting to float away. Of course she had no idea and her buddy was nowhere to be seen... One of my instructors got to her just in time just as her tank came completely loose and he caught it and strapped it back in... Good guy, he could have just kept going! Next, we were ascending on the line and two guys come bolting up from the surface, from 60 ft, ascending very fast and they never stopped...My instructor was so concerned that when we surfaced he felt he needed to call the other boat and tell the DM what happened. Jesus, I hope that isn't the norm around here, LOL

The only thing I really had any trouble with was no mask breathing. Need more practice on that for sure. I was able to do it, but it wasn't fun!

What went through you mind as you watched this progress and how will it affect your future diving.
Thanks. :) What I first thought was "Where the F##$ is her buddy?! God damm idiot!" :fail:

:D

First congrats on your cert. second always remember the things that happen to you and others. They are experiences that will stick with you and always remind you to check gear, good buddy practices ect. There was so much that was wrong with what you saw in that diver. It could be you one day and probably will in some instances. Fortunately that diver got some assistance before it grew to a rescue situation. Loose tanks are not uncommon and tough to deal with without someones help. What went through you mind as you watched this progress and how will it affect your future diving.

3 things

1. every dive is a learning dive.

2. OOA is the only real emergency, everything else is just an annoyance to deal with.

3. When you do your AOW class it will be more meaningful.

This is what I am trying to focus my attention on - unless it is an OOA situation (and my buddy is no where to be seen), everything else can be dealt with relatively calmly with no rush.

Absolutely correct. OOa is the only time critcal situation you will come across. I was looking in the previous post form seeker242 for much more like
----
---
How did the tank get loose and what could i do to prevent it from happening to me.
Where was the buddy what if i had xxx problem how would i handle it
Should i start thinking more solo or self reliant than buddy in the future
Since i am asking should we have had a lost buddy plan or meeting place in our predive brief
If she doesnt know her tank is falling off does she have any clue about hazzards of wrecks
Is her buddy in the wreck and lost

How could i have potentially been of assistance to her or them and what would i do if needed right now.

The real life realization of the factors known or unknown is s sobering event.
These are all the things, you need to over time, to be able to answer because when you do,,,, and put the answers in to practice you all but insure you never get into that situation your self. I guess its a process of becoming aware of your surroundings, and always n=knowing you minute to minute options.

This is what I am trying to focus my attention on - unless it is an OOA situation (and my buddy is no where to be seen), everything else can be dealt with relatively calmly with no rush.

Congrats...we often do Ancient mariner for dive 3 for OW students...it's a fun dive. Welcome to the fun.

MS

Absolutely correct. OOa is the only time critcal situation you will come across. I was looking in the previous post form seeker242 for much more like
----
---
How did the tank get loose and what could i do to prevent it from happening to me.
Since i am asking should we have had a lost buddy plan or meeting place in our predive brief
If she doesnt know her tank is falling off does she have any clue about hazzards of wrecks

How could i have potentially been of assistance to her or them and what would i do if needed right now.

These are all the things, you need to over time, to be able to answer because when you do,,,, and put the answers in to practice you all but insure you never get into that situation your self. I guess its a process of becoming aware of your surroundings, and always n=knowing you minute to minute options.

Thanks. I was thinking most of that stuff after reflecting on it. :) I was just stating my first thought, which was WTF?!?! Ha!

----
---

I think everyone should read the Sticky regarding "Who is responsible for what?"

Makes for some interesting reading and is a stark reminder that ultimately it is the diver themselves that is responsible for their own safety (as well as hopefully being a good buddy). Be a good buddy but also remember that in the end, you and only you are truly responsible for your own safety. This is particularly true if diving with an instabuddy who you don't know (they might be the best buddy you will ever get but they might be such a flaky diver that you immediately want to strangle them personally!)

I am looking at the points raised and thinking -
Why didn't she check her tank properly before diving? If it had been tight and the cam band stowed properly, it shouldn't come badly loose like it did (apart from an equipment failure such as the cam itself being faulty).
If she isn't aware that her rig has changed dramatically (I hope I would feel the difference in a tank that was floating off), is she paying enough attention to her equipment?
If the buddy was lost, why didn't she head for the surface to regroup with them after a short search as per her training? The lost buddy routine should be so basic and ingrained that it should only merit a passing mention in a briefing.

Just my thoughts

Back
Top Bottom