Looking for recomendations for thermal protection-High Springs, Fl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going to be doing the Fundamentals in High Springs Fl. So I know it's 72 and we won't be going deep but if doing it wet what would be a good thickness? I have a 3mm, if I add a 2 mm hood/vest would that do it or do I need even more?

I use 250-400g undergarment under a drysuit

Do you usually get cold easily? Even so I think a 3 mil/2 mil combo might be a tad "light" with the amount of water time spent in fundamentals.

When wet I use a 7mm (admittedly old) AND a 3mm hooded vest, plus fingerless gloves.

When I go to ginnie I use a 3mm shorty. slight shock but passes fast. I also use a 3mm farmer john and that's almost too toasty for me.

Was swimming there recently.

If I was going to be in the water for a dive I would definitely need my drysuit.

with heavy under garments.

72* or some such freezing nonsense.

Going to be doing the Fundamentals in High Springs Fl. So I know it's 72 and we won't be going deep but if doing it wet what would be a good thickness? I have a 3mm, if I add a 2 mm hood/vest would that do it or do I need even more?

More... probably a lot more.

You're gunna be in the water all goddamn day. Drysuit and at least 200g thinsulate.Cold=fatigue=mental stress=mistakes.

I finished fundamentals in Austin in a 5mm suit. We were in the lake for 2-3 hours for 4 days with only a short break to change tanks. It was OK, but I would have preferred my dry suit. I actually started in a dry suit, which flooded on 2 days due to a bright idea I had on the day of the class. Don't do that, don't be making gear changes right before the course unless directed by the instructor. I did primer in Ginnie and Blue Grotto in a dry suit with the pretty heavy SB midlayer and I was pretty comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom