Possible Shore Dives after Labor Day - pick one or add to the list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did dive the Dual Wrecks earlier this year - and swam under the propeller shaft - mill stones were scattered around the stern end. So the wreck itself is still intact - but that was before the Army Corps of engineers started their sand reclamation effort.

Based on what I saw in Sea Girt this year - the sand has been extended quite a ways out into the water.

I'm going up to the bridge in long island tomorrow. High tide is 12:48. If anyone wants to join me and my friend james up there, just let me know by shooting me a PM.

I'm going up to the bridge in long island tomorrow. High tide is 12:48. If anyone wants to join me and my friend james up there, just let me know by shooting me a PM.

Just seeing this now - let us know how it goes... Did a dive at L Street this afternoon - good viz for L St just over 10 foot or so...

Anyone dived the Manasquan Inlet lately? I believe that scuba diving is still permitted on the Point Pleasant side from the fisherman's memorial eastward, along the concrete wall and the giant 'jacks' breakwater, as long as you stay within 50 feet of jetty structure (where you will see the most things anyway)and dive with at least one other person. Jenkinsons controls access, but this time of year should not present a problem, and there is lots of municipal parking.

Naturally, this is strictly diving from about a half hour before peak high to about 20 minutes after the current turns outward. This gives a little more than an hour in the water. The currents become ripping strong quickly, so plan the entry and exit points and technique accordingly.

There is an amazing variety of life there this time of year, especially along the wall and in the bottom debris.

I have not tried diving the Manasquan side in many years, and would love to read someone's recent experiences. The stone jetty there is where I learned to dive on my own back in the early 60s.

*** NEW JERSEY REGISTER, VOL. 47, NO. 3, February 2, 2015 ***
TITLE 13. LAW AND PUBLIC SAFETY
CHAPTER 82. BOATING REGULATIONS
SUBCHAPTER 3. OPERATIONAL REGULATIONS
§ 13:82-3.17 Diving and swimming

(a) General provisions with respect to diving and swimming are as follows:

1. Underwater diving with or without an underwater apparatus is permitted in all navigable waters in New Jersey unless otherwise prohibited in this section.

2. Any person while diving shall mark his or her position with a buoyed flag:

i. Such flag shall be displayed so that it is visible all around the horizon from a buoy, float, boat or other floating object;

ii. Such flag shall be a minimum of 14 inches by 16 inches, shall be rigid to enhance visibility and shall be a red background with a white diagonal stripe running from one corner to the other.

3. No person shall operate a vessel within 50 feet of the buoyed flag.

4. No person shall display a flag at times other than when diving is in progress.

5. No person shall swim or dive in a narrow, confined or improved channel or in a marked fairway, under a bridge, or impede, obstruct or interfere with passage of watercraft therein.

6. No diver shall surface more than 25 feet from the buoyed flag except in an emergency.

(b) Provisions for Manasquan Inlet are as follows:

1. Underwater diving shall be permitted in the Manasquan Inlet only within 50 feet from the stone jetties and bulkheads.

2. Underwater diving is permitted only in the area east of an imaginary line drawn from Ocean Avenue, Point Pleasant Beach, extended to a point across the inlet at First Avenue, Manasquan.

(Snip)

NJ Scuba Diving Rules

There is an amazing variety of life there this time of year, especially along the wall and in the bottom debris.
I have not tried diving the Manasquan side in many years, and would love to read someone's recent experiences. The stone jetty there is where I learned to dive on my own back in the early 60s.

The times I have tried have been busy with cars and I found it difficult to get a reasonably close spot to park. But now that it is off season - it could go back on my list... If not this year certainly next spring...

Ok - nothing on the horizon but maybe this weekend... This weekend is tough - my wife is gone for the weekend and I have some kid duties to attend to...

Would you be willing to dive Round Valley as well or just shore dives? I dove L Street this weekend and the seahorses were gone or at least I did not see any...

There are a few of us from PA considering coming out this Saturday 9/26, last day of fluke. High tide is early probably shortly after sunrise at L Street. It'd be nice to meet up with some of you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now the shore weather has been puke - marine forecast has been showing small craft advisory all week and looks like into the weekend... That will stir up the viz and it has been blowing easterly pretty much all week - so that will gum up the back bay L Street area....

I am kid booked on Saturday - but Sunday early we could try the Train Wreck at the Delaware Water Gap if there is any interest. Dove it once - viz is so so and it is not deep (20 feet I think) - or could try the Round Valley Reservoir - viz is much better but not as exciting as seeing a train car or two in the mud...

I could lean either way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom