Snake River or Flip3.1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KimberlyP

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I have a gopro 4 black and have been using a polar pro red filter. I am finding that the video footage is vignetting when I am diving deep. Another diver recommended the Snake River red filter (blurfix3 so URpro CYD) as he was having a similar problem. I have also seen lots of good feedback on the Backscatter 3.1 Flip System and am having a hard time comparing and making a decision between them.

If you have either of these filters are you experiencing vignetting on your videos? And follow up to that is do you have decent / good results at depths of 70 - 100 feet? Lastly, do you have a recommendation on which filter would be best?

I'm new to video and would appreciate any feedback or comments.

Thanks!

They both have their attributes, SRP and Backscatter.

the SRP clip-on lens/filter system is quite modular. I've used three different lenses on one dive. Red, +4 diopter, and Backscatter Macromate.

You can't do that with the Flip System.

The CY and CY shallow are great glass lens's compared to plastic.

I'm blown away with the Macromate lens.

to not get black corners in your video, I only shoot in Narrow or Medium mode, never wide as that give too much distortion and fish eye effect.

welcome to the scubaboard, much to learn, the search button is your friend.

I have the Backscatter flip system. The major pro is that you have 2 lens/filter options that are changeable with a quick flip....and without having to carry around extra parts the you have to change and potentially drop underwater. The con is that you are limited to 2 (although you could bring another lens and switch them off....but that is a lot of screwing on-off. Locally here in new England with drygloves I would not want to be doing that). As Rocky mentions, I only shoot in Medium mode to avoid distortion issues.

Here is my set-up (just bought the SRP tray and dual Solas...and took them diving for the first time this past Sunday). The quality of some of the video is great.....although I'l admit I am still getting used to these new lights, their positioning and which brightness setting to use. Most of these macro shots were also shot without touching the bottom.....so a fair amount of shaking going on.

Snake%20River%201-L.jpg

Here is a link to my video footage from this weekend - north shore Boston. Visibility was 15+ feet....so green water (magenta) Backscatter filter for the non-macro shots. Macromate mini for the macro shots. My camera is a Hero 3+.

https://zurich-diver.smugmug.com/Legendowski-Halfway-Rock-Sept

Hope this helps

Chris

Thank you both RockyHeap and Large_Diver! I've read both of your replies several times and done more research to finally help me to make a decision. Also, I sent an email to Snake River. I asked them what the difference was between their dome and flat red lens were. They explained that optically they should be the same although the price point was higher on the CY lens and made of glass. I also found a youtube video comparing the difference between SRP and Backscatter. I wished there was a newer video as it was shot using hero2 plus I think Backscatter's products have been updated since then.

I chose to buy the SRP 55mm CY + Marumi Macro Lens 10+ (and stackable adaptor). I won't be diving again until November so I won't be able to report back right away. In December my husband and I go to Palau, so that will be the real test with plenty of opportunity to dive deep and see the results.

Here is a video I put together when I went to Tubbataha. It's my 2nd video so you'll have to excuse all the mistakes and jumpiness. Still have a lot to learn! No matter though as I'm enjoying the process.

https://youtu.be/M_8G7X6ELbQ

Large_Diver, thank you for sharing your video! I was impressed by your shooting of the macro life. Despite what you said I thought it was pretty steady.

Best to you both.

Hi Kim,

Glad I could help. One thing I will say about Snake River.... Amazing customer service. I had an issue with one of the parts of the tray and sent them an email...also saying I was disappointed since I had planned to take it diving on the upcoming weekend ( this was Thursday). About 5 minutes after sending the email they called me....fedexed a replacement part (Saturday delivery) and I had it out diving Sunday (the footage you saw). Pretty impressive :)

Good luck with the new filter

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom