Getting Forced to Bottom: continued

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbone1004

Mr Speed Nuts
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
continuation of the earlier thread. This one caused by a very lengthy Sprint video and now a Fashion One. Same video. No issues with the ads per se, just wish the full videos would stop as they seem to be the problem.
Untitled.jpg

I added adblocker to a MAC running Firefox and site is much more stable now.

I added adblocker to a MAC running Firefox and site is much more stable now.

^This^

I broke down and added Adblock Plus (a free application) to Firefox, and the problems (and ads) stopped. I do want to support ScubaBoard, but for some reason the video ads were "breaking" the site for me, so most ads are now "gone" from ScubaBoard (for me).

Best wishes.

Without destination URL's I can't block the ads.Please provide URL's of the offending ads, or do what I said to do in the other thread.

This is really annoying. How do I find the destination URL? I just click the video and arrive at the advertiser's web page.

I've never seen this on any other forum, so are you sure it isn't something poorly implemented on SB?

Turning off Flash solved the problem in Edge browser. However, I really want Flash for other sites so I'll have to turn it back on later. Very annoying!

Howard, you mentioned in the other thread that the ads will not display for a supporting member. I am a supporting member, and I am experiencing the same problem. The ad takes over control of the screen. It is happening right now. It makes reading and typing extremely difficult.

I am using Firefox. I am on my work computer now, which does not have AdBlock.

My home computer does have AdBlock, and I do not experience the problem on my home computer.

TO block any GOOGLE ad from appearing...

CLICK ON THE LITTLE BLUE ARROW (it looks like a line arrow) it's in the top right hand corner of the ad, and tell Google you don't want that ad.

Part of the problem is that the blue arrow does not appear on these video ads. When I right-click on the video the only options I get are Flash specific: "Settings..." "Global Settings..." The ads are as you said targeted ads, and not objectionable for content, simply objectionable the way they affect browsing. With the google ads settings I can block specific advertisers, but all that does is change which videos are playing instead of getting rid of videos entirely. If I block the a boxing ad, it's replaced with a power company ad, if I block the power company ad, it's replaced with a university ad, and so on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom