Blackbeard Cruise, Stuart Cove, and Freeport Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubbles below

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need advice! I'm signing up on a group trip w my LDS on the Blackbeard Cruise in April. I wanted to try a liveaboard to see How I do. And Blackbeard is reasonable if I don't like it. I also want to stay a couple days in Nassau and dive w Stuart Cove for couple of days. Someone mentioned Paradise Harbour Club, Town Hotel,Western Club,Sun Fun Resort, and Nettie Place @ Casuanngo. I was wondering if any of the places I mentioned are decent and close to where Blackbeard dock. I also wonder if I have time to do 9am boat dives w Stuart Cove or just do the 2 pm dives.
After Nassau, I'm heading to Freeport and staying at a timeshare near the Marina where Grand Bahamas Divers are located. I wanted to try diving in Nassau and Freeport to compare. Thanks in advance!

Even if you don't like Blackbeard, remember that it is a very different experience than some other liveaboards, like the AquaCat. The experience is as different as staying in a bunkhouse versus a hotel.

Even if you don't like Blackbeard, remember that it is a very different experience than some other liveaboards, like the AquaCat. The experience is as different as staying in a bunkhouse versus a hotel.

I was about to say the same thing. Blackbeards was our first liveaboard and it was a great bargain and we don't regret it, but it is like camping at sea. We have done many other liveaboard trips since then and they were very different experiences.

I believe Stuart Cove's is on the opposite end of the Island from where Blackbeard docks. Keep that in mind for timing and deciding where to stay.

Just wondering what you mean if you will have time to do the 9am dives? They are on opposite sides of the island but Stuart Cove send a shuttle around to pick you up at your hotel if you request it.

I believe we disembarked and reach the dock at 8am. I was wondering if I can catch the morning dives at Stuart Coves. Or maybe, it would be better if I do an afternoon dives and a morning dives the following day. I also noticed Bahama Divers is near Blackbeard Dock. Any one used them? Is Stuart Coves have a better dive site than Bahama divers?

You get to the dock on Thursday afternoon and spend the night on the boat. Going on a 9am dive would not be an issue. As for hotels trip adviser is pretty accurate. I would recommend spending just a little more for a nicer hotel as even the cheap hotels can be pricey.

Blackbeards docks in a Marina east of town on the north east side of Nassau across from Paradise Island. Getting to our scuba liveaboards in Nassau.

Paradise Harbor Club is almost directly across the channel from it but on Paradise Island. See the golf course on the east end of the Blackbeard map? - it's waterfront south of that. I'm not sure if the Cove's shuttle would pick up there - they sweep Atlantis and a couple other resorts but they're about a mile or so away. Possibly they would because they likely pick up at the One & Only Club nearby. One other option to consider there is Comfort Suites - Blackbeards mentions it on their Hotels link and it's about a block from Atlantis which has several Cove's shuttle stops. There's also an arrangement so you can use the Atlantis facilities - I suspect it's because they either own the property or the Atlantis Towers block their view.

Towne Hotel is downtown about a block or so in from the cruise pier. It wouldn't be my choice, for area and age. The other two places you mentioned are in Cable Beach or farther west - actually closer to Cove's along the same route. Orange Hill Inn is another option - it was a Cove's shuttle pickup point - maybe still is. I don't know Western Hotel - maybe you mean Westwind I or II? - both in that area also. IDK where Nettie's is. One thing to watch on Nassau is distances from things like restaurants etc. - cabs are really expensive.

Cove's is a 45min shuttle ride +/- from Paradise Island/downtown on the south side more to the west. They also pick up at Cable Beach resorts. If you're not set on Cove's Bahama Divers is located between the BlackBeards dock and the bridge to Paradise Island just west of it. They also have a shuttle to Paradise Island and Cable Beach. No Shark Feed though if that's your interest.

Check with Cove's on any of the properties - except for PHC the shuttle probably goes by any of them so could get you. I know they pickup at the Melia on Cable Beach and properties in the area. And they have a stop downtown if you did decide on Towne Hotel. Coco Plum is another lower cost alternative - it's in Cable Beach about a block from the water. Better area IMO. Kind of a budget place.

If they ever add it back onto their new website they used to list hotels/pickup times for the shuttles.

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2015 at 02:53 PM ----------

Oh wait...the Best Western? It's also on Paradise Island sort of near the bridge.

T.C. has a Blackbeard's review from May 2014 that's detailed & helped me research it. There are other reviews, but I think his does a fine job of laying out the basics. I'm considering it for the future. But I'd probably go a bit later than April, give the water more time to warm up. Bahama's get chilly water in the winter.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom