scubapro g250 & g200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OzSeano

Registered
Reaction score
Hi new to the forum recently started diving and have been passed on my fathers dive gear which hasn't been used in say ten years. I am starting to get everything together and whilst mindful to be safe he passed on to me two 1st stages with hoses that have SP G200 and a G250 graphite.

Identical to these bout half a page down. I Got "New" Gear! - Backpacking Scuba Diver

ive opened the regs up they look fairly simple & will most probably need a kit through them & service orings are a bit flattened out.

i don't intend on servicing my own gear although it doesn't look complicated at all, I would like to know is it worth getting them sent away to get services 1st stage 2nd stage & hoses or buy a new package with it all included.

i contacted SP austrailia as I would imagine my LDS won't have these kits lying around.

opinions welcome.

Your LDS should be able to support that gear. That gear is not that old and it is totally supported. The G250 is a great second stage, probably one of the best that Scubapro has ever made. Definitely service it and use it.

These are very easy regulators to service if you have a bit of mechanical inclination, some patience, and the willingness to ask specific questions on this forum, or better, the DIY forum. In particular, you'll want to determine whether your first stage is a MK10, or a MK10+ like the one you linked to, or something different.

You will not find regulators that perform significantly better than this set at any price, so they're worth keeping.

I'm relatively sure the G250 takes the same service kit as the S555/600 - S600's are sold new today.
The kit is on eBay among other places but I'm sure your dealer has/can get one.

I still dive a g250 and just had it serviced last month. Both I bought in the 90s and took a small 10 years off from diving. Back then there were. Guys that would ONLY dive g250s. They do pretty well, even in cold water (which I don't dive much)

The g250 works like the day I bought it. They did need to replace my dacor first stage and my old orange Sherwood octo which broke on disassembly. But the g250 still works like a Champ.

Hi and welcome.

Scubapro is quite popular in Australia and there are many dive shops and independents that can service the regs. Where about in Aus are you?

Which first stage do you have?

i don't intend on servicing my own gear although it doesn't look complicated at all, I would like to know is it worth getting them sent away to get services 1st stage 2nd stage & hoses or buy a new package with it all included.

One thing to remember is that regulators are a mature technology so anything new is more likely to be be evolutionary than revolutionary. The G250 is a classic that Scubapro actually reissued (G-250V) and is still sold by Halcyon as the Halo. The G-200 can be upgraded to a G-200B which breathes the same as the G-250 but does not have the adjustment knob.

I had newer fancier more expensive regulators, but after breathing a buddies g250/mk10 on loan, I was thoroughly impressed, and ended up buying a g250, that I paired with an mk17, both bought off eBay than serviced locally, I wouldn't trade these for any other regulator, they breath fantastic! I also have a g250 mk10 setup for my pony bottle! I dive both mostly in so. Ca. And getting service is easily available

Sorry for the late replay i was waiting for a email notification . can i set this up for my account.

Basically i am technically minded i work as a marine tech in the navy pulling apart hydraulic and electrical systems. I have a few friends that have done the dive yeomans course that would be able to help me. I have already pulled the G200 fully apart i left the G250 alone for now. I also have a B-commander sea hornet reg... pic... but it needs a new diaphram and plastic retaining ring as it had been removed and there is a small hole now in the diaphram.

image_2.jpg

So while i am reluctant to service these myself on the safety side i am pretty tempteed due to the fact as they are fairly basic looking internally. There is only about 6-8 orings, white plastic plunger and seat seal to the 200. ill cross that bridge when i get to it. Here are some pics the first stage is a SPmk10. i was certain he gave me two first stages mayb i left it the 2nd back home.

image.jpg

Also he gave me 2 SUUNTO computers. One was serviced many years back the battery was replaced the other i assume the battery is dead so i wasn't to sure whether i was to get it sorted at this stage. pic

image_1.jpg

Bit off history with all this gear has been used for years by my father, i think he dove for 30 + years all over fiji when we lived there, he worked for prodive in australia. mayb not so much now but in his day he was extremely experienced.

He also has about 4 of the vintage scuba pro regs i think they are the 60 styles . heaps of chrome on them . haha if i get into these and use mayb i'll get a hhold of one of them laster on.

image_2.jpg

image_1.jpg

image.jpg

Sorry if the pics too big

So yeh i am mechanically minded work in the navy as a marine technician. i have a few mate that have completed dive yeomans courses i could get them to help me out.

The top reg i came accross the other day it's missing the diaphram ring and needs a new diaphram.

the 1st stage is a mk10 and he also gave me 2 dive computers one has been services a few years ago but the 2nd need a new battery. at least thatgs what i'd expect has been sitting for a few years.

he also had a few of the vintage SP regs, perished rubbers but they were pretty bling... if i get into it he said they come later.

anyway thanks i think i will take them in this weekend see if i can track down a kit for the 250

Back
Top Bottom