Wth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand why you did not talk calmly with the DM, in order to understand why he did it :(
I probably should have once back on the boat, but things were a bit rushed and it fell off the to do list.

To answer the previous questions, the malfunction was that I had a small steady leak from mouthpiece of my reg. Was annoying as reg was serviced recently. It wasn't interfering with breathing and given the conditions and shallow depth I wasn't worried. Inflator worked fine :)

Sent from my XT905 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added September 26th, 2015 at 10:26 AM ----------

Yeah, but didn't the OP say the DM RELEASED air from his BC, which would make him negative and actually cause him to descend if he wasn't finning up? What would have happened if you (the OP) weren't a good diver and forgot to fin up, and you started dropping like a stone until the DM dove down to add the air back into your BC? The whole thing makes no sense, especially if it was at the end of a dive and the DM (presumably) was able to assess your diving skills during the dive itself.

Things like this continue to push me towards telling any DM that I dive with that I am a capable diver and would appreciate it if they did not touch my gear unless I am unable to give them the ok sign when asked.
There was a hard bottom at less than 18m, so I wouldn't have gone far, lol. I wasn't in any danger, just a bit shocked that he did that.

There were a bunch of divers who couldn't keep their fins off the bottom and were almost vertical, I guess if the dm is used to people having problems, he might be "helping" everyone with no distinction

Ive had some unfortunate events with DM's, most on boats with good will intended however not always did the events end well.
A helpful had is always appreciated when asked for.
I always try to be mindful of asking for or if another diver could use some help.
Ive been pushed off the boat, air turned off, verbally abused, etc. these are a few of the better ones.
In the end, its experience but if a DM mistreats you or puts you in harms way YOU NEED TO SAY SOMETHING!
Do not be intimidated but just make your case known.

On a boat a few years ago I noticed a DM being very friendly with only the female divers.
He made them feel very uncomfortable and was always taking pics or creeping.
I took it upon myself to mention to him to stop it.
When he did not I took it to the captain a friends of mine.
He was dealt with and off the boat.

Bad behavior is not to be tolerated.
Honest good intentions that require explanations are a good thing.
They help the DM and diver to understand good communication above and below the water is always best.
DM's are trained to deal with divers having problems they cannot solve for themselves.
Some try to be proactive rather than reactive.

CamG

(this is the WTF bit) grabs my inflator hose to start releasing air for my ascent!

I took the inflator off him and tried to indicate by gestures (that didn't include the middle finger) that I was ok executing an ascent from the safety stop! With just under 100 dives I'm not a particularly experienced diver, but I can remember to release air on ascent if necessary!

Has anyone had that sort of thing happen? It struck me as mighty strange. The DM was a very nice guy otherwise and I didn't want to go off at him, so let it slide.
I don't know where you were diving, but I can associate my experiences with some experiences outside of the U.S.A., male vs. female... I have been on dives where DMs did not understand the women they were diving with had more dives/experience than their male counterparts They simply "assumed" the male population had more experience without further discussion. I put this discussion in the range of... "The DM did not do their due diligence in finding out diver experience level"

I completed the safety stop and indicated to the DM that my computer has cleared the ss time. I'm just hovering nice and neutral, waiting for my buddy's computer to clear.

What did you do to indicate that your computer had cleared the ss time? If you used the tech hand signal of a horizontal palm sweeping once above the computer, and the DM was not used to that, perhaps he misunderstood and thought you were having problems hovering...the same signal but back-and-forth instead of a single sweep, plus a hand waver indicating a problem.

What did you do to indicate that your computer had cleared the ss time? If you used the tech hand signal of a horizontal palm sweeping once above the computer, and the DM was not used to that, perhaps he misunderstood and thought you were having problems hovering...the same signal but back-and-forth instead of a single sweep, plus a hand waver indicating a problem.
Actually, there is no hand signal for a "safety stop signal time is cleared" signal when sport diving. It is just the thumb indicating "UP"

Actually, there is no hand signal for a "safety stop signal time is cleared" signal when sport diving. It is just the thumb indicating "UP"
But, as I said, there is a tech signal for "my computer has cleared." I wondered if she used it, which might have caused confusion.

I pointed to the computer, did a horizontal sweep with my hand (which is what i was taught at some stage) and also an ok signal for good measure. I didn't signal up as my buddy was still completing the ss and I was planning to just hover there until she was ready to go up.

I think the DM needed a piece of your mind with a complaint as well to the dive operation so he doesn't do it again and maybe really hurt someone. He may be well intentioned but he needs to respect other people's space and safety.

Back
Top Bottom