Wth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I pointed to the computer, did a horizontal sweep with my hand (which is what i was taught at some stage) and also an ok signal for good measure. I didn't signal up as my buddy was still completing the ss and I was planning to just hover there until she was ready to go up.

Sent from my XT905 using Tapatalk
I think your handsigns were perfect...but the DM may not have understood them. The hand-sweep is not part of "basic scuba talk."
http://www.neadc.org/CommonHandSignalsforScubaDiving.pdf
Note the similarities between hover, something is wrong, and your computer is cleared signals. The signals need to be slow and distinct.

Yes, that was rude. The proper way I would do it is to grab My OWN inflator and burp a few bubbles from it and point to the other person's inflator.
Earlier in my diving history(late 90's or so), I pointed to another diver's computer dangling from his BC and poked it. Later on the surface he told me people that touch his stuff underwater are likely to get their mask pulled off their face. (I think I loaded an extra band on my speargun shortly after)
You were a pretty good sport, nevertheless.

Having just gone on a day boat again today for 3 dives I'm starting to have more sympathy for the dm. A certified diver with 30 dives lost buoyancy control and ended up inadvertently surfacing twice in one dive. I guess this sort of thing sets the expectation level for the dm of problems to preempt.

No one interfered with my gear this time around :)

I am not a fan of the DM or people fiddling with my gear in or out of the water, point something out if you think something is not as it should be. I have a DM on a boat turn my valve all the way off just as I was about to jump. I said to him, why did you shut my tank of. In a rather asertive manner he told me the tank was not on, I indicated I was pretty sure it was as I had tested it, and he argued. I took two breaths off the reg while showing him the guage, as well pointed out that the valve was a left side valve, ie goes the other way. He was bashfully apologetic realize his mistake having argued with me in front of a boat load of people. We had a chuckle about it, he apologized several times and promised to never touch my gear. We ended up buddying up for the dive. Best bet is to chat to the person involved always.

If it was your first dive with them, they might not have realized you were actually competent. With the fresh newbie professionals in the industry who haven't had much experience yet (and sometimes unfortunately with the experienced), I've seen assumptions to include male divers more experienced than the female, the more boastful better in the water than the quiet, any physical issues that need help or more time to gear up indicate complete physical incompetence, and everyone who isn't obviously a teacher/dm is a mess. At least that's been my experience. The repercussions or causes of such a mindset aside...

It also helps if your dive group tries to touch your gear still on the boat, and you vehemently discuss with them within earshot of the boat crew the rule of don't touch me, my gear, or me in my gear while I'm conscious. Exceptions only include if we've discussed contact prior to the event.

He probably just thought you had to much air in your BC or something. I would've asked him about it at the end of the dive but as mentioned before if it was your first or second dive with the person i wouldn't have made it an issue. I allow DM's some leeway before they dive with me (remember they are accustomed to "everyday" divers, not so competent)

If it was your first dive with them, they might not have realized you were actually competent. With the fresh newbie professionals in the industry who haven't had much experience yet (and sometimes unfortunately with the experienced), I've seen assumptions to include male divers more experienced than the female, the more boastful better in the water than the quiet, any physical issues that need help or more time to gear up indicate complete physical incompetence, and everyone who isn't obviously a teacher/dm is a mess. At least that's been my experience. The repercussions or causes of such a mindset aside...

It also helps if your dive group tries to touch your gear still on the boat, and you vehemently discuss with them within earshot of the boat crew the rule of don't touch me, my gear, or me in my gear while I'm conscious. Exceptions only include if we've discussed contact prior to the event.
That's a good point. I have physical issues on the boat (I'm small, gear is heavy, I occasionally struggle with it), am a very small female and always look nervous before the dive. I'm fine as soon as I'm in the water, but I think that does mark me for special attention. Which I generally don't mind (if someone gives me a hand I politely thank them, especially if it is with lifting something heavy). It's just on this occasion the help was unexpected and unnecessary.

OK, so today on the same boat, a different DM mentioned that at least one person rockets to the surface due to failing to release air, *every trip*. That would explain the preventative measures taken by the DM.

You see Iralub, when you are raising calmly questions, you are getting valuable explanations :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom