compressor help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Post pics on a different site and post a link to the photo here on the board. Scuba board has a poor picture software

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

Martin W. McWHORTER, I believe died around 2005 . He was sued for using the business name McWHORTER Engineering, when he was really a machinist who modified compressor for primarily Scuba applications. State failed in the attempt to prove he misled anyone that he was an "engineer". The old 3310 compressor was a workhorse when used at 3000PSI applications. Some of the "long time members" and "Old" divers like me, may add lots of information to this post. I have not seen a 3310 in the last 10 years- but some may still be around
Jim Shelden

My dad bought this compressor new in 1969-1970 and used it in his scuba shop to pump scuba tanks, Fire department scba tanks and medical air for several welding supply co. He supplied almost all the air used in south and south central Arkansas until 1983 when he closed the shop down. This compressor has run many 10 to 12 hour days with zero problems. It is water cooled and was setup with 10 large oxygen cylinders for the cascade 6 were left open for large storage and 4 were used induvial. He kept full log books and journals on everything from air fills, maintenance, oil changes on everything from dive boat to lawn mower along with where he went, what he done and what he thought about when he was doing it. But he had his own filing system.(So They No longer exist) It has set since he passed away in 1989 I would go and just let it run some. Over time compressor visits got few and too far between. I acquired the compressor a few years ago since that time it has sat some more the compressor is stuck from the humidity in the air. I was always told it was a Ingersoll-rand the only tag I can find is McWORTER ENGINEERING Co. Birmingham Ala. High Pressure unit Model 3310EWS Serial 030271 If anyone has information or shop manuals, parts, know how, Or what it may have sold for new will be greatly appreciated. It seems like he said it cost $8000 new now I realize that was a big step from a mad max looking homemade surplus compressor he built in the 50,s when I get a chance I will pull that one out of storage and post pictures of it too. It’s pretty neat and wild looking at the same time. Thanks Al Helvey See pictures at: Need help with compressor

Last edited:
I saw the pics just fine and I do not know what it is myself, I'd guess that no one else has figured it out either as most anyone on this forum would gladly fill you in if they knew the answer to your question. Best of luck with your search. May try to contact a antique dealer or someone that knows about old industrial equipment.

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

I looked at the pictures and looks like a 3 stage compressor with 2nd and 3rd stages stacked (not 4 stage).
The filters on the side are military surplus just like the ones on the Davey. They came in steel and stainless steel with a metal puncture type cartridge inside. I'm old, but I haven't seen a compressor like this.
Jim Shelden

yes it is 3 stage I guess I worded it wrong I was thanking 4 cyl 3 stage butt I guess its 2 cyl 3 stage it has 2 low pressure pistons 2 mid pressure pistons and 2 hi pressure pistons that float on top of the mid pressure pistons

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom