Dive ops in Marathon, Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flspy

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am heading for a week to Marathon in October. Any experiences with Marathon dive operators?
Unfortunately, many of the operations I have dealt with in the Keys are catering to tourists from the Midwest or Europe that dive 1-3 times a year.
I live in Palm Beach County and dive between 50-100 dives a year, have all my own gear, and steel 100's and 120s.

Also, would like to know who uses a membrane system for fills so I don't have to have the tanks completely drained.

Thanks.

Chris

I've dove with Dive Duck Key and they are pretty good, but probably get their fair share of tourist divers. Note that they won't let you dive solo, even if you're certified. That's my biggest complaint. The staff was really nice the last time I dove there and that's worth something.

If you have time to run down to Key West for a day, I like Captain's Corner: they are very flexible if you're experienced and certified for what you want to do. They get their fair share of tourists too but won't make you buddy up with one.

Also, would like to know who uses a membrane system for fills so I don't have to have the tanks completely drained.

For what it's worth, you don't need a membrane system to do that, nor does a membrane system make it any easier to do.

What you really need to look for is a full station operator that can do some basic math.

Aside from asking people if they can do math what you are looking for is either a membrane system or banked nitrox. Banked is the key word, but I don't know who does it down there. I feel like you have to give up a kidney to get the shops in the keys to fill anything and you better smile and say thank you while you are at it so I just grin and dive plain air :)

Aside from asking people if they can do math what you are looking for is either a membrane system or banked nitrox. Banked is the key word, but I don't know who does it down there. I feel like you have to give up a kidney to get the shops in the keys to fill anything and you better smile and say thank you while you are at it so I just grin and dive plain air :)

Yes, banked is what i mean. Strange that a place that has so much diving seems so unprepared for divers!

Yes, banked is what i mean. Strange that a place that has so much diving seems so unprepared for divers!

As an FYI, I've never run into an issue with filling my tanks while in the Keys. I think most operators with Nitrox bank it and don't mix it in your cylinder. There are some operators that only do air fills, so keep that in mind as well. I've purchased Nitrox fills at Conch, Silent World, Rainbow Reef and, if I recall correctly, Quiescence. I think Dive Duck Key has their Nitrox tanks filled at Tilden's on Marathon. I usually arrive with my tanks already filled by my LDS, Jupiter Dive Center and then just get re-fills while in the Keys.

We bring our big steels for the deep wrecks and just use the boat AL80s for the shallow reefs. This works for weekend trips.

We had a real nice trip in marathon when we went but that was something like 6 years ago, and in the keys so many places change hands I would look for a more current recommendation.

Hall's in Marathon has banked nitrox. I don't know about charters specific to Marathon, but Mobile Diver can come up there and do private charters for you. I highly recommend him. Keys Mobile Diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom