PADI gave member info to US Government

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheDivingPreacher:
In addition, what do you expect PADI to do? Say no? Would it be worthwhile for PADI to fight this? Say the results are increased costs to pay for those legal fees? That behavior could also result in more government involvement of the certification process in the name of terrorism.

Did you actually think about this before clicking on "post?" PADI shouldn't fight it. They should merely say, "We'll be happy to comply with your warrant." If a warrant is produced, they should cheerfully comply. If no warrant is produced, there's nothing to fight and nothing with which to comply. No additional costs, in fact it would be cheaper to do it this way. Besides, PADI isn't adverse to wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars on frivolous lawsuits.

RIDIVER501:
oh by the way the other agency out there did too. But i guess it is only a big deal if PADI does it...the other agencies don't count

Actually we don't know what the other agencies did except for YMCA which did require a warrant before releasing any information and advised its instructors to do likewise.

scubasean:
Those "quotes" are about citizens protecting themselves against the govt, and have nothing to do about protecting themselves against "non govt individuals..."...

OK, and your point is?

:11:
Walter:
Did you actually think about this before clicking on "post?" PADI shouldn't fight it. They should merely say, "We'll be happy to comply with your warrant." If a warrant is produced, they should cheerfully comply. If no warrant is produced, there's nothing to fight and nothing with which to comply. No additional costs, in fact it would be cheaper to do it this way. Besides, PADI isn't adverse to wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars on frivolous lawsuits.

Actually, the quote you quote as my quote didn't come through as a quote when I quoted it from someone else. I agree completely, the simple response was, provide the grounds for the request and we will gladly comply. We are supposed to be a country based on laws that are actually followed. :06: yup

aaa

Actually we don't know what the other agencies did except for YMCA which did require a warrant before releasing any information and advised its instructors to do likewise.

On the surface, my cert level and everything else is pretty much public knowledge. But I tend to agree with those that imply that this is a slippery slope.

Library records; Web Surfing Habits; individual pass times (to include diving); where I choose to travel for vacation are all being fed into databases maintained by the federal government. To be sure, this is all under the auspices of 'preventing terrorism' but it can easily be switched for other, less pressing reasons.

Today, no one agrees with J. Edgar Hoover's collection of 'dirt' on famous people or the McCarthy witch-hunts looking in to Communistic activities - but they did happen. What's to prevent the government from using information collected today against people tomorrow? I'm of the opinion that the less governmental oversight we allow, the better off we'll be.

I think true bravery would be to not to have changed anything after 9/11. Let people travel freely and openly throughout the United States without having to put up with the insane passenger checks at airports (I travel about 50,000 air miles a year on business). Our statement to the world will be simple; yes, you can kill us, but you can't change our way of life.

Of course, I totally support our actions in Afghanistan and Iraq, but we shouldn't change our way of life or else the terrorists have effectively won - they've changed us into a fearful quasi-police state - in other words, a reflection of themselves.

I know a lot of folks don't like the ACLU, but their entire premise is to defend the rights of everyone. Where they run afoul of popular opinion is when they defend a monster whose Constitutional Rights are being violated. The concept is that if the Constitution protects monsters, then it protects the rest of us as well. So yes, I do support the work of the ACLU - and I'm a Republican!

One of our greatest treasures is our ability to call anyone, from the President to your next door neighbor, a poor excuse for a human being (I'm leaving out the normal profanity here). This right isn't as common as you might believe and without aware citizens, we just might loose it under the banner of Counter-Terrorism.

Always remember, this is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. It may be hard to recognize at times, especially in light of the last presidential election, but I still believe it and if you don't like it, change it. Tip O'Neil once said, all politics is local. Get involved!

That's my two (maybe five) cents worth. Everyone has an opinion and I'll defend to the death (20+ year Air Force vet) your right to express it.

Lee

PS - the difference between a Subject and a Citizen? The Citizen has the right to bare arms.

IT`s amazing - many non Americans had their "privicy invaded" and their details handed over to the FBI - Something which was done to try and protect the US ... but do they complain ?? .. no .... just the Americans .... sheesh ....

That's because we cherish the rights that were given to us. We've seen how others are trampled on, and don't want to become them.

sealkie:
IT`s amazing - many non Americans had their "privicy invaded" and their details handed over to the FBI - Something which was done to try and protect the US ... but do they complain ?? .. no .... just the Americans .... sheesh ....

Had the gov't been on the ball in the 1st place, and done something about the threat that they clearly saw-yet ignored, we wouldn't be having this discusion. Personally I have nothing to hide, nor am I a conspiracy alarmist, but it does seem that we're being led blindly by being told it's for our own good....patriot act... padi records.... iraq... the list goes on.

Back
Top Bottom