Lug it or rent it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michaelszippy

Contributor
Reaction score
So it looks like I'll be spending 3 or 4 months in Asia late this year, early next. While diving won't be the primary mission (my wife, who is not a diver, has family in Taiwan and we want to see Japan), I anticipate doing a few weeks of diving...perhaps a little more. I'm tentatively planning to bring my reg and computer. We will likely be covering a lot of ground; dragging unused dive equipment will be a pain. What, if anything, would you bring?

A VISA card.

Rent. Leave your reg set and computer home.

All personal choices. I don't go anywhere without my BCD, Regs, mask. They don't weigh enough for me to worry about the maintenance (or lack thereof) of rental gear. Most is fine but it only takes once.

If it is a wrist mount computer, bring it. I would also bring my own mask. But I agree otherwise to rent gear. If you were going to be doing a few weeks of dedicated diving, it might be a different story, but if you are doing a lot of traveling and a little diving, why lug gear.

Mask for sure.

Also your computer if wrist mount. If the diving is intense enough to warrant would be nice to avoid a learning curve(s).

If no other gear is a personal security blanket leave it home.

I'd bring mask, regs, computer "regardless of wrist mount or not"and perhaps my wetsuit. At the minimum my regs and computer

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

I like to take all my dive gear. EVERYTHING! I do not mind paying extra in luggage but if I dive and when I dive, WE DIVE TOGETHER! Tanks and weights excluded.

I would definitely take my regs, computers, and mask. They will fit in any piece of luggage. My complete kit, less spares, but including my pony rig fits in one bag and weighs less than 40 lbs.

So, if I were doing lots of diving, I would take all of it. If I were doing a few dives here and there, I would take my reg, computers, mask, booties, and wetsuit.

I am not in love with my gear, to paraphrase a previous post, but I do know it and I do maintain it. My reg is adjustable. I unconsciously know when and how to adjust the reg to get effortless breathing at any recreational depth.

Yeah, my reg flies with me.

markm

So it looks like I'll be spending 3 or 4 months in Asia late this year, early next. While diving won't be the primary mission (my wife, who is not a diver, has family in Taiwan and we want to see Japan), I anticipate doing a few weeks of diving...perhaps a little more. I'm tentatively planning to bring my reg and computer. We will likely be covering a lot of ground; dragging unused dive equipment will be a pain. What, if anything, would you bring?

For that much diving, I will bring all the essential item except the suit and this is because it is Asia (assuming water temp will warm). The big items are BC, Reg. All others, ie computer, mask, smb, even a light, should be very small and manageable. You can rent weight belt and fins at destination.

Back
Top Bottom