Bahamas, Ambergris Caye or Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hendenburg2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm planning my first full-on dive vacation, and I'm stuck trying to choose between the Bahamas (Blackbeard's), or staying at a dive hotel/resort on either Roatan or Ambergris Caye. I've already made hotel choices for each destination price-wise they're all pretty similar, including airfare, so I'm really looking for recommendations based on dive conditions, wildlife, water quality, etc. I'm looking at a week in late February through mid-March.

Any recommendations or information would be appreciated!

Just making a "mystery selection on Roatan" and asking to make a comparison? Roatan s a big island fror being such a small place.

Ok, so you picked Blackbeards. That time of year? That's a big one. Could be pretty nasty, maybe yes, maybe no.

Where on Roatan? This will have a huge effect on your experience.

Amergris? Details, please.

I've done all three between now and 6/14. I'm currently on Ambergris Caye at 90 degrees with water temps of 85-89. No chance of hurricanes. Roatan West End is similar to here - both have great dives from 5-10 minutes from the shore. My last stay in Roatan was 6/14. The reef diving is a bit nicer (or at least as nice) here in San Pedro but land is a dung hole. Because of proximity you can do 3 dives a day at Roatan or Belize.

My choice for the dives you cited are - Ambergris Caye, Roatan, Bahamas. IF IT'S ALL ABOUT THE DIVING. If you are going with a non-diving significant other then reverse the order for a "vacation".

Last edited:
How many dives do you intend to get in in a week? Blackbeard's markets 19 - 20; what will you get at your other options?

I'd wait till the water's warmer in the Bahamas. I hope to do Blackbeard's, but not in late Feb. to mid-March.

Are topside attractions an issue? If so, what do you want to do?

As Doc brought up, if you read some Roatan threads, you'll see the experience is expected to vary a lot based on where you stay.

Richard.

If its truly a dive centered vacation that you are looking for - I would go to CoCo View on Roatan.

I enjoyed my visit to Ambergris Caye but in reflection is was a vacation with diving as opposed to a dive vacation.

Have not done a Blackbeard's trip. Just does not seem to be my thing!

Last edited:
Just making a "mystery selection on Roatan" and asking to make a comparison? Roatan s a big island fror being such a small place.

Ok, so you picked Blackbeards. That time of year? That's a big one. Could be pretty nasty, maybe yes, maybe no.

Where on Roatan? This will have a huge effect on your experience.

Amergris? Details, please.

I'm look at Mata Rock on Ambergris Caye or Las Rocas on Roatan. Las Rocas is on the southwestern tip of the island, near The Swash. As I said, my time line is late Feb/early March

I'm a bit confused as to how you've compared Mata Rock's and Las Rocas to a stay on Blackbeard's.

How many dives do you intend to get in in a week? Blackbeard's markets 19 - 20; what will you get at your other options?

I'd wait till the water's warmer in the Bahamas. I hope to do Blackbeard's, but not in late Feb. to mid-March.

Are topside attractions an issue? If so, what do you want to do?

As Doc brought up, if you read some Roatan threads, you'll see the experience is expected to vary a lot based on where you stay.

Richard.

Richard, If you are interested in doing Blackbeards I would also look into Lost Island Voyages.

Welcome to Lost Island Voyages | Scuba Diving Adventures in the Bahamas | Miami, FL
It is supposed to be a better op with less divers and a really professional staff. I am considering it for a trip. I don't think I could do Blackbeard's with the wife. I'm not even sure if I could do 22 divers on a 60 foot sailboat myself nowadays (I'm 46). Lost Island has 12 divers and the cost is only slightly higher than Blackbeards. Just something to think about.

5280steve, where did you stay on Ambergris Caye that left you feeling that Ambergris Caye is a "dung hole"?

Back
Top Bottom