WE used to hate north winds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Last Sunday I flew back after a short stay in Texas, only to find us landing to the west. Uh Oh! That meant a west wind and with all the sargassum weed this year I knew what that meant. Attached is a photo of the ferry pier and this smells a whole lot worse than a norte. Good news is that it does not affect diving but all the cruise ship people have to hold their noses!

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

ALDORA DIVERS

sargassum.jpg

Last edited:
Are all the west facing beaches like this?

I wonder how many Cruisers might try to walk out over that mat?

Yes, right now all of the west facing beaches are like this. I saw several Municipal Dump trucks picking up bags of the stuff downtown but there is really no hope until the wind shifts back the way it should. The good news for us was that the Aldora Adventure Shark dives in the north were able to cross the north end of the island and get to the sunken galleon for a 4th dive on the East Side. Long day for Memo but he loves that!

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

ALDORA DIVERS

Wouldn't this stuff make excellent organic fertilizer if composted? It probably carries a lot of salt when wet, but it can't be too hard to rinse that off before composting it.

It seems that the loads they get are being composted on the other side. But there is so much the municipal trucks could never carry that much. lets hope for the normal trade winds and Playa Del Carmen will again have this problem

Dave Dillehay

WOW, it was nothing like that two weeks ago when I has down there Dave. I guess I got out in time huh (LOL). I really enjoyed the north dives with Memo. I think we both caught a nap trying to clear out my Suunto for 11 minutes at 18' at the end of the second dive. The sleeping sharks and hunting Lion fish was a real rush. The Schambers and I agreed we will make this a regular dive spot for all of our future trips. Next time we need to try the east side. Bruce

Some enterprising person will start boxing it up and sell it to cruise ship people as an official Cozumel souvenir.

Except you can buy the same souvenir in every port in the Caribbean. The seaweed is hurting the tourism industry. I've seen people cancel both cruises and land vacations because of it.

This is the first time in my 23 years here to see such a mess. Downtown stinks like hell and they have about 100 men with rakes and 5 dump trucks working there….won't be nearly enough. For some crazy reason the North Hotel zone has not had very much.

The same thing hit Galveston beach last year. I wonder if there is some scientific explanation other than just blaming it on Global Warming?

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

Back
Top Bottom