Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive date: 10/6/15 7:24 PM
Duration: 1h:02min
Dive location: USA Carmel / Monastery, North
Buddy: Bruce Sudweeks
Nice night dive off north monastery. The water was pretty clear and warm. Billions of krill swarming the lights. 57F by my comp, Bruce had 60F.
Always hard to tell at night but I put the vis around 40-50ft based on how far I could see my buddies lights when I shot off ahead. Good water clarity.
Flooded my strobe though. I failed to finish putting the cap on so, um yeah here is hopping it comes back.

Photo's with my focus light, with crab'a lishes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/walkerpad/albums/72157659582002635

Last edited:
Most strobes' battery compartments are isolated so the only thing you should lose is a set of batteries. Just make sure to clean the contacts.

October 7 conditions:

Pt. Lobos Bluefish cove, west end: ~40 ft. vis, temp in high-50's
Pt. Lobos Bluefish Wall: ~20-30 ft. vis, temp in high-50's
Granite Point Wall: ~30-40 ft. vis though less at south end, temp in high-50's

Sea state was very calm. Overall very nice conditions.

Last edited:
Was diving at Point Lobos yesterday. Visibility is fantastic with an easy 40-60 feet at the end of Middle Reef. In the deeper waters around Three Sisters and the road to Twin Peaks, I could see the surface from 100 feet plus, even a dark over cast day. Hopefully, these conditions continue. My last doses of split pea soup have gotten a bit stale.

Had about 40', somewhat milky at the Shale and off the Aquarium at about 70-80ft. on Saturday. No surge.

Stilldivin and I had Lobos to ourselves this morning. We were dive team 1 and saw no signs of other divers when we left after a short dive to Hole in the Wall. We had a long encounter with a clingy harbor seal on the kick out.

The vis was a milky 20+ feet. The surface water temperature was 64F and I logged a min temp of 57F. It was near high tide and there was a long period swell coming straight into the cove. It was breaking dramatically on the rocks between Bluefish and Whaler's, but the surge wasn't too bad.

There weren't a lot of fish, though I did chase after a couple of male Sheephead.

Bottom time 38 minutes, max depth 64 feet.

Conditions were very nice at S. Monastery on Saturday. Surface was flat and viz was in the 40-50ft. range on two dives with a nice blue color to the water. Lot's of metridiums were open out on the west end of the reef.

Breakwater also had 30-40ft viz on Sunday, lowest temp recorded was 59F on our first dive in new drysuits. In the water from around 1PM to 2PM and encountered the usual afternoon surge+wave action.
There was a juvenile elephant seal up on the rocks (around the number 5). I first thought it was a very large sea lion due to the lack of the trunk but there were a lot of people from the marine mammal rescue center there keeping an eye on it who confirmed that it was, in fact, an elephant seal

Sunday did a couple of dives with Mike at Mcabee. Saw pipes from the cannery days, few large link chains, 4 metridiums, a seal etc.. Max depth was about 52', temp was about 60°. Vis was nice 30-40'. It was great to be back in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom