Missing Britannia Beach Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vancouverdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Missing diver near Britannia Beach. There are four main dive sites here. If the photo in the news article is taken at the site where the diver is missing, it is the site called the "Pipe"
It's a straightforward dive to 100 ft., but one can go deeper. The pipe ends at just under 190 ft. and the vis at the end of the pipe is bad due to the discharge.
Just noticed the second photo is at the other dive site by the art gallery. There is a wooden structure formerly used as a breakwater. No problems in the past, but it is an entanglement hazard.

Missing Britannia Beach diver - British Columbia - CBC News

A man is missing in the waters off Britannia Beach after a pair of divers became separated during a Saturday morning excursion.
Squamish RCMP and 20 volunteers from Squamish Search and Rescue have been searching for the missing diver since he failed to surface.
Police have shared few details but say the missing man went on an excursion with what they describe as a diving professional mid-morning of September 26.
The pair became separated under water and while the professional surfaced the other man — who a friend describes as Australian — did not.
Sonar equipment and a drone are being used in the search, but so far there has been no trace of the man at the popular diving area.

Last edited:
Isn't this the same missing diver as the other thread?

Um.....yes......note to self, read other posts first before posting......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dive buddy and I were diving the cut at Whytecliff Park that morning when the coast guard hovercraft blew by us. It was slightly un-nerving and as we entered the water we both commented that hopefully they were just heading out on a training exercise.
It was a gorgeous bright day but there was a very low tide at 10:40 am and there was a huge tidal exchange. Our plan was to enter the cut and surface in the bay but as we rounded the day marker there was a ripping current and rather than fight on, we turned back and we ended our dive back in the cut.
Once again information has not been released and any number of things may have happened but it gives one pause and has helped remind me to always pay close attention to tides especially in our part of the world where tidal exchanges can be extreme.
My condolences to the missing diver's family and friends and hopefully he is found to help bring some measure of closure and perhaps shed some light on this tragic event.

Missing diver near Britannia Beach. There are four main dive sites here. If the photo in the news article is taken at the site where the diver is missing, it is the site called the "Pipe"
It's a straightforward dive to 100 ft., but one can go deeper. The pipe ends at just under 190 ft. and the vis at the end of the pipe is bad due to the discharge.
Just noticed the second photo is at the other dive site by the art gallery. There is a wooden structure formerly used as a breakwater. No problems in the past, but it is an entanglement hazard.

Missing Britannia Beach diver - British Columbia - CBC News

A man is missing in the waters off Britannia Beach after a pair of divers became separated during a Saturday morning excursion.
Squamish RCMP and 20 volunteers from Squamish Search and Rescue have been searching for the missing diver since he failed to surface.
Police have shared few details but say the missing man went on an excursion with what they describe as a diving professional mid-morning of September 26.
The pair became separated under water and while the professional surfaced the other man — who a friend describes as Australian — did not.
Sonar equipment and a drone are being used in the search, but so far there has been no trace of the man at the popular diving area.

Thank you for reporting on this accident, I am also a diver like my brother who lost his life on this day, but was enjoying what he loved.
Thank you for the post.
I have had trouble locating information about the dive.

Regard Diver Ned

Locus, the author is not a diver but connected with the parties involved, hence the story is from a personal perspective. Like most accidents, it takes much time for the facts to be released. Coroners reports can take some time. In the mean time, it is hard for the dive community to learn from this tragic accident in our local waters. However, SB permits theories, and causes, so we may learn from it and suggest remedies. It appears that the two DM students were doing a deep mapping exercise of the Pipe. While it does not confirm Stephen was diving to 178, he was recovered at 178 ft. The terrain is not super steep, and the lower end of the pipe lies in a trench to lower the pipe. The end of the pipe is just past 190 ft. At the lower end of the pipe the visibility is often poor as the sediment is very silty and the discharge from the pipe reduces visibility. Possible theories may include: buddy separation, task overloading with a mapping exercise at a deep depth, possibly below recreational depths, possible gas management issues, non familarity with dive site, and narcosis considering the depth and task loading. So almost anything. However, this reminds me to be mindful of ones dive plan & objectives, and ensuring the amount and type of gas is appropriate for the dive. Please note this is just theories and may not necessarily apply in this particular case.

You are right on target. The actual FACTS are really seldom released. They can't really be verified as Fact until the investigation "proves" them. By the time that happens usually months or years down the track people have moved on and seldom come back here. Even then SB can't and shouldn't confirm facts without access to the legal documents which is not likely and not SB's role anyway.

That leaves us with information released by the media :facepalm: (notice I said information not facts) we know how accurate THEY are.. and they are trying to sell their coverage. I'm not inclined to put a lot of store in their information.

Buddies often are too nervous about legal issues and reeling from the effect of the trauma on THEM to come here and tell us a lot. Even if they are so inclined they may not KNOW. It only takes a couple seconds for something to go wrong and buddy separation to happen even with great buddy procedures!

Locals may be able to give us general information about the dive site etc to help give a picture of likely conditions.

That leaves us with the barest framework to put together to consider POTENTIAL contributing factors/causes. Lessons can be learned with some speculation but it needs to be recognized as speculation and respectful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom