Thoughts on Bounce Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last edited:
So missing VooDooGasMan's views on this thread...

As with all things related to scuba, don't hold your breath.

It's generally accepted that at about 217 feet air becomes toxic. Go deeper on air and do so at your terminal peril. A fast descent to about 200 on air with controlled ascent using recreational limits is totally dooable on a normal size tank as a first dive (i.e. no residual Nitrogen). The risk in this dive is the narcosis that you WILL experience. Tunnel vision. Potentially magical thinking. Lack of focus. Now, on their own these things aren't that big of a deal and can be fun, but when you are dropping like a rock and supposed to be paying ABSOLUTE STRICK UNWAVERING attention to your depth gauge, narcosis can be deadly. In sum, don't bounce unless you go with an experienced diver who understands the physiology and has some emergency diving experience.

Without reference to personal beliefs vis a vis whether bounces are dumb... Thoughts or concerns of a technical nature would be great.

Go smoke a doobie or eat a cookie if you're looking for a buzz. Rx's aren't hard to come by up here, eh?

You know, the mantra you don't know what you don't know. So before you do something you don't know it is a good idea to get to know what you don't know. So you can do what you now don't know, in the know. No????

One Summer early in my commercial diving career, I was part of a dive crew that spent several weeks doing almost daily work at 209,' diving air. The jobs were usually short duration ( :5 -:12 ), so to minimize our chamber deco time, we would load up our commercial harness-style weight belts with lead pigs, & rocket to the bottom. I recall the first several dives to be head-spinning adventures, but doable, and after a time, we started to acclimate to the exposures. Mind you, we had unlimited gas supply via umbilical, communications, bailout supply, standby diver at the ready, a rack operator to run our dive, and a chamber to deco in. Later in my career, I had occassion to do "Bell-Bounce" dives, where the diving bell would be lowered to working depth at atmospheric pressure; when ready, the Bellman would "blow down" ( open a valve of lp gas to pressurize the interior of the bell ) to an equivalent gas pressure to match the ambient water pressure at working depth. When the pressure equalized, I'd slip out of the Bell, do my work, return & get back inside. Once we were squared away ( umbilical stored, hatches closed & dogged ), "Topside" ( the Dive Supervisor & crew ) would start our "Deco" by slowly venting gas from the bell as per the table we were running, while the bell was winched to surface & re-mated with the deck decompression chamber, into which we'd transfer to complete our deco obligation. Again, this type of diving had the advantage of being surface-supplied & controlled.

Best of all, we were paid very good money!

And those methods, my friends, are the only way you'd ever find this cat doing "bounce dives."

Regards,
DSD

Resurrecting my own Deep Air/Dark Narc encounter to 80m on Oil Rig Eureka here in offshore SoCal a year ago, in 12deg C water temp depth at the time. Used double AL 11L manifolded cylinders, an AL 11L tank of Oxygen, a drysuit for exposure & redundant buoyancy, and a DPV Scooter.

Planned dive was a quick powered scooter descent to 90m for a few minutes, and then multi-level profile up with most of the time spent at 18m, with O2 deco at 6m as needed. Total Dive Time was 50min, with deco obligation cleared before 12m (per Petrel Computer on 30/85 GF), but I did a few minutes on O2 at 6m anyway for a cleaner inert N2 purge.

With the scooter off and stowed, all it took was three frog kicks into the current at 80m depth, and I was instantly overcome with a narcotic CO2 hit: Hyperventilation & difficulty breathing the regulator, high density & flow viscosity of the Air mix & resulting Hypercapnia came on immediately. In the dim ambient light, the only thing I was able to perceive was my Petrel Computer flashing an extreme PPO2 Warning prompt of 1.9, and it took a few minutes focused concentration not to panic , just to hang onto a support beam and try to regain a nominal breathing rate & clear head before starting the ascent using the scooter. (Note: Elevated CO2 also increases the likelihood of hyperoxic seizures.) Not at all pleasant and I don't want to do that again. . .

The point is that a Deep Air bounce dive like above can be treacherous even if planned and prepared as a technical dive . . .It would be absolute suicide to attempt this recreationally only on a Single Tank!

As a technical diver who dives to 200ft I can say a single tank bounce diving to 200 feet is utterly foolish and stupid. When we do dives to those depths we do use air at time however, there is a lot more than a single 80 we usually carry 4 tanks with us and there is deco gasses as well. These dives are accomplished with a team of technical divers all train experienced and equipped for this dive. To top that the dives have a specific purpose there has to be a reason to go down there other wise why would I bother lugging all that stuff around. The recreational limits are where they are for a reason and if you want to exceed those it requires training, experience, and a very different set up than you use as a recreational diver. Narcosis is very heavy at 200ft and will be a factor no matter how much you say it won't be it will be a factor, you also have to worry about CO2 build up which most recreational divers never even consider. You have to worry if you regulator can keep up with the demand of air you are requiring. If there is something there you want to see and you are serious talk to a technical diver, gain some experience (at least a couple hundred dives minimum) and go the correct route. Please do not attempt a single tank bounce to 200ft it will get you killed.

I used to be an idiot too.

Many years ago I had a friend black out during a bounce dive to the "shallow" depth of 220' in Cozumel. His eyes rolled back up in his skull and he was completely lights out with no one home. Luckily for him, i was able to grab his tank valve and brought him back up. He came to when we got shallower than 150'.

I wouldn't even contemplate doing a dive like that ever again. There's nothing worth dying for underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom