Olympus E-PM1 still a viable option?

Olympus E-PM1 still a viable option today?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since I already shoot on the micro 4/3 platform with my GH3 I already have the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 and was considering the 7-14 to use with my 3 axis gimbal. So the lenses can work for me in and out of the water. The 60 macro or an ultrawide are next on my radar. Are there advantages to using the 9-18 vs the Panasonic 7-14? The 4-5.6 aperture of the Olympus bothered me a little since I need the extra stop when shooting low light in my normal working environments.

I wanted a low cost camera to learn the ropes on while still making good quality images. Camera bodies are all outlasted by the glass. I realize this, that's why I chose to invest a small amount in a body/lens/housing to develop my skills before sinking several thousand into a full blown Nauticam system. Once my skills are up to par then I'll decide on the next steps as far as looking for a good housing for one of my existing camera systems.

If you want to stay low cost you can get the Zen dome
Zen Underwater Pen Dome for Olympus 9-18, 14-42 in PT-EP Housings [zen.wa100.ep] - $374.99 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

You can use the 14-42, 9-18 & 60mm all in this port.
You can also use all those lens in your current port, but the Zen gives you the ability to go to 100 degree view with the 9-18 and then 60mm macro all without changing the port.
All those pictures I posted earlier in the thread were taken through that port.

I think the next thing I'd buy if I were you is the 60mm macro lens.
If you want to go WA, then get the 9-18 & Zen. You can also use the 9-18 in standard port, you just get a 75 degree view instead of 100.

I have the EPM1 and liked it quite a bit. It is now my backup camera, I am shooting the OMD EM5 now. I have thought about just setting up the EPM1 as my macro setup with the 60mm lens, as it does a nice job still. I think you made a very good purchase.

Thanks for all the replies! I wound up picking up a near new E-PM1 with the Oly housing, a camera tray and strobe arm all for $385. I think that this will be a perfect stepping stone into my underwater shooting and a definite upgrade to my GoPro Hero 3+. Eventually, I'll wind up picking up a Nauticam housing for one of my Sony bodies but for now this little Oly fits the bill perfectly.The first purchase will probably be the Oly 60mm macro and then a 9-18 with the Zen port. Most likely, I'll pick up a Sola Photo to use as a focusing light and for video. Would the best solution be to mount it to the shoe on top of the housing or get another arm for the tray?Really looking forward to starting up this journey! Thanks for all the help!

I use a sola 500 on the shoe mount with a single Inon D2000 on an arm from my left handle. I don't have a right handle, I hold the camera housing with my right hand.

For good photos, you will need a strobe. I have the PM1, and have at last got 2 x Inon S 2000 (light weight for travel). You have bought a very Dea sent camera for UW photography. It is through one behind the camera who makes a good photo, not the equipment. I have a friend who shoots amazing photos with an old G12........ The main advantage stepping up to PM1 is a bigger sensor, and excellent Oly glass. You will love this setup when you realize how bad the Gopro stills are compared tp the Oly.... Like you I am not ready to throw away money for a Nauticam housing for my EM10....it will also be "obsolete" in a year or two.....

---------- Post added August 16th, 2015 at 01:33 AM ----------

Sorry for the typos.... :)

---------- Post added August 16th, 2015 at 01:37 AM ----------

By the way, you can get cheap leak alarm, diopters and swing adapters from Jeff at Reef Images.

Hope you're enjoying the epm1

FI got a great deal on mine too. And I've gotten my money's worth out of it. I'll probably pick up an EPL7 next year, but for right now I'm happy with the EPM1.

Bought a hotshoe tripod mount adapter and mount my Hero4 to the coldshoe on the housing. I use an Archon light for macro focusing and for gopro video as well as urpro filters. That light is mounted to a 1/2 loc-line mounted to the tray.

I'm currently piecing together a new tray and strobe arm setup (been using my old Ike tray and flex arms) so when I upgrade he camera and housing I'll be ready to go.Get a wifi card (I use eye-fi) and it lets me transfer pics to my phone right on the boat, great way to share photos instantly with new friends. Photoshop Express app is decent enough for most people's tastes.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
A few from the last month with the 8mm panasonic

edit: I'm using my phone for this post and when I click on the photos they look pretty horribly compressed after upload, uggh.

If you want a 1000 lumen focus light for a reasonable price check out www.laluzoptics.com which has a 1000 lumen light for $179. It has 3 light intensities. I have one of them and the now discontinued L800 which I use as video lights and focus lights. They are well made and I have had no problems with either light.

op, you got yourself a great deal there. i got the same camera and housing but nowhere near as good a deal as yours. that will be an awesome starting kit as you learn the nuances of uw photography. just like topside, skill matters the most (including dive skills like bouyancy, helicopter turns, etc), followed by the lens then the camera body. a friend of mine still competes with an 'obsolete' s100 and garners her fair share of awards. even looking thru this sites gallery you will find many wonderful pictures from years past taken by what could be called antiquated equipment. reminds me of that saying 'amateurs fuss over equipment, pros over money and masters over light'.

its nice to be a member of 'the cult of the new', and to be fair, good, newer models do make shooting easier and better, but imho they hardly make what came before obsolete unless the gear in question was already crappy to begin with.

just my 2 cents :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom