running out of air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonhall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Read a recent thread regarding running out of air and it lead me to a question I thought I would ask outside that thread.

What are indications that a tank is getting low, other than the gauge, when you are underwater or do you take that last breath and that's it?

I ask about underwater, as I have run out of air after surfacing from a dive while waiting on a boat pickup (drift dive.)
As I recall, although I knew the gauge showed empty, I was able to suck in small amounts of air and the air seemed very dry (or maybe my mouth was just becoming that way.) Always thought that if I experienced that underwater, I would try and get buddy's/DM's attention and signal "out of air" and hope they were ready to surface!

When one employs correct gas management techniques (something almost totally lacking from most basic scuba training), running out of breathing gas is not an option... And, with the majority of modern balanced regs, there is no universal precursor to finding yourself sucking on an empty tank.

What are indications that a tank is getting low, other than the gauge, when you are underwater or do you take that last breath and that's it?
The primary indication is generally going to be an exponentially increasing work of breathing (WOB), possibly for 1 or (maybe even 2 breaths), then you find yourself sucking on a vacuum. And the relative abruptness with which you reach the 'vacuum' stage increases with depth.
have run out of air after surfacing from a dive while waiting on a boat pickup (drift dive.) As I recall, although I knew the gauge showed empty, I was able to suck in small amounts of air and the air seemed very dry (or maybe my mouth was just becoming that way.)
I am not aware of a particular reason why the air should seem to be very dry at the 'end' of a cylinder. Maybe, others have an explanation. Underwater, you should feel breathing becoming more difficult and then find you are sucking on a vacuum. Depending on where you are in remaining gas supply, you may feel the difficulty increasing at the end of inhaling one breath, then realize you are OOA as you try to take the next one. Or, it can all happen during one breath (particularly at greater depths, as noted). The abruptness may be subtly influenced by the type of regulator (balanced, unbalanced), the degree of diver's exertion, etc.

I have experimented with breathing (pony) cylinders dry at depth (100') and found that the increase in WOB is barely noticeable before I reach the 'sucking on a vacuum' stage, using a regulator with balanced first and second stages. YMMV.

In OW training at least one agency has students breath normally underwater while the instructor turns off their gas supply (for essentially an instant) so that the student can feel what it is like to run OOA. But, that is done in the pool, usually in the 5-10' range, and the effect is a bit more gradual than it would be at 100', where even if the diver's tidal volume (volume of air inhaled - and exhaled - during normal respiration) remains the same (as under resting conditions at the surface), the absolute volume of compressed air used with each breath is increased because of the effects of pressure. So, if the resting tidal volume for an adult is considered to be ~500mL (and is greater during exercise, and 500mL is therefore used only for simplicity of illustration, not as a realistic value for divers), then each breath at the surface reflects use of ~0.018 CF. In contrast, each breath at 100' would reflect consumption of 0.07 CF. For an AL80, that would mean at the surface you use 0.7 psi with each breath, while at 100' you use ~2.7 psi. And, that is using a resting tidal volume, which is conservative, even for relaxed diving. Tidal volume does increase with exercise, and divers are taught, as well, to breath slowly AND deeply (i.e. greater tidal volume), so the values above may be almost absurdly low. But, these numbers also illustrate why you experienced a situation where the SPG was showing an empty cylinder (zero air remaining) and you were still able to get a small amount of air - the SPG is simply not sensitive enough to reflect single digit psi differences.
Always thought that if I experienced that underwater, I would try and get buddy's/DM's attention and signal "out of air" and hope they were ready to surface!
If you will pardon a little bit of sardonic humor, 'HOPE is not a strategy.' :) But, if you were to experience an OOA situation U/W, you should use the standard procedure as you noted - get the attention of your buddy / another diver, share their air, and - whether they were ready or not - execute a normal ascent. If they were not close by and you were relatively shallow, execute a CESA, deeper it would be a buoyant ascent. In reality, as I am sure you already know - and several posters have already mentioned - no diver should ever go OOA, if they are monitoring their air supply appropriately.

^^^what Doppler said^^^

Unless you are using an old unbalanced vintage rig, your SPG is the only way you are going to know if you are low on air. Even with the vintage rigs, you basically had warning enough to surface at 60'/min with no safety stop, that is why the SPG was adopted by recreational divers as soon as they cost less than a reg set.

Bob

I have ran OOG twice underwater. First was intentional with a 13 cf pony. The pony wanted to head to the surface butt end first and I would say I had about 3 breaths that was noticeably different. This was with an unbalanced first and at about 20 feet depth.

Second was unplanned and with a freeflow I could not stop. I was diving a 100 cf steel. Started my ascent. Again at about 20 feet depth I had about 8 breaths that I would say was noticeably different. Then switched to my pony. This was a balanced first and second.

it is abrupt... i've never run out of air underwater and hope never to do that... but i was on a dive recently just down to 60' and felt my regulator had a small leak in the swivel joint when i changed positions (turned out the o-ring was busted)

anyways asked my wife share her long hose while i check out the situation... so i decided to experiment, with her long hose in my hand and my reg in my mouth i turned of my tank valve... i expected to get a few breaths or feel the reg getting hard to breathe but nope... reg breathed perfectly for about 1.5 breaths and then that was it, no air

Apart from an instructor shutting down a valve on me I have never run out of gas, but it is basically just sucking on nothing.

Breathe from your reg on the surface and shut the valve off while breathing, you will get the idea.

In OW training at least one agency has students breath normally underwater while the instructor turns off their gas supply (for essentially an instant) so that the student can feel what it is like to run OOA. But, that is done in the pool, usually in the 5-10' range, and the effect is a bit more gradual than it would be at 100', where even if the diver's tidal volume (volume of air inhaled - and exhaled - during normal respiration) remains the same (as under resting conditions at the surface), the absolute volume of compressed air used with each breath is increased because of the effects of pressure.

My experiences have been quite different from this.

Back in the days when I was a DM and then an assistant instructor, I was frequently the demo diver for the air depletion exercise in the pool. The instructor would shut off my air, and when I ceased getting it, I would signal OOA. I never got any warning. I would suddenly have no air.

I also used to do a fair amount of diving using a stage bottle at depth to extend my bottom gas. (For those who don't know, that means you carry an extra tank, breathe from it until it is gone, and then switch to the tanks you have on your back to continue the dive.) That generally entailed going to near empty at depths well below 100 feet. I would make the switch after my gauge got into the red zone, and there were a few times when I waited a bit longer than I should have to make the switch. When I did wait too long, I would always experience several breaths that were increasingly difficult to breathe, and I never actually got to the point that I was OOA on that tank. The regulators I was using were significantly better quality than the basic ones being used in the pool sessions. I expect that if I had used those more basic, unbalanced regulators, the effect would have been more pronounced.

It is a worthwile experience, to breathe from a closed valve. But in my experience it just doesn't feel the same as breathing a tank down to near empty. I say near since even then there is still some small amount of gas in that tank.

Back
Top Bottom