First open water dive: ran out of air. WTH?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I first arrived, the tank my instructor had set out for me was empty to his surprise. He got me another one and I hooked up. He told me the gauge was hard to read because the cover had clouded up. I told him I couldn't see it at all due to wearing my contacts, plus the cloudy plastic cover. He read it, said I was fine.

He, I and a second student practiced various things in the enclosure for 45-60 mins or so, including mask clearing, losing and retrieving the mouthpiece, emergency ascent, and buddy breathing. We then swam into the quarry along a wall. I loved it. Until we turned and were swimming back when I ran out of air. We were at about 30 feet or so. It was startling. Especially, when I did not realize how to get their attention as they were both ahead of me - though only several feet. I did not panic but it scared me. I was able to catch up to the other student, tap his tank and give him the out of air signal. He handled it like a pro and we buddy breathed to the top.

My instructor was extremely non-chalant about the whole thing. I thanked my buddy and joked a little with them about needing to pay extra for air next time. But it bothered me, scared me. We had swam by a long cement culvert type cylinder/tube which we would have swum through had it not been blocked. Sitting here tonight, I wonder what would have happened had I run out inside that longish, dark tube?

I realize I am responsible for my own safety and will never dive again not being able to read my own gauge like that. I am not even sure how much air I started with.

I am a rank novice, though I have been comfortable up to this point. I've had two pool dives, plus the open water dive today and that's it. How bothered should this episode make me? Because I am somewhat bothered.

Most people don't practice this skill till they start spearfishing. You're ahead of the curve and should be proud of yourself and the expert training you received.

My comments (as a relative newbie as well)

When I first arrived, the tank my instructor had set out for me was empty to his surprise. He got me another one and I hooked up. He told me the gauge was hard to read because the cover had clouded up. I told him I couldn't see it at all due to wearing my contacts, plus the cloudy plastic cover. He read it, said I was fine. Never accept "fine" - it is your safety so if you can't read it, get it changed or refuse to dive. You should know fairly accurately what your gas is at any time both for safety and for planning purposes ie how much longer can I stay down before I need to turn, get back and surface with my reserve intact.

He, I and a second student practiced various things in the enclosure for 45-60 mins or so, including mask clearing, losing and retrieving the mouthpiece, emergency ascent, and buddy breathing. We then swam into the quarry along a wall. I loved it. Until we turned and were swimming back when I ran out of air. We were at about 30 feet or so. It was startling. Especially, when I did not realize how to get their attention as they were both ahead of me - though only several feet. I did not panic but it scared me. I was able to catch up to the other student, tap his tank and give him the out of air signal. He handled it like a pro and we buddy breathed to the top. Your instructor should be getting you to check your cylinder pressure at various intervals throughout the dive (both to check what you have and get you into good habits). Your instructor should know that your air could be running low after doing surface skills so should have been more vigilant. The fact that you have been allowed to blow through your reserve as well as the rest of the tank worries me.

My instructor was extremely non-chalant about the whole thing. I thanked my buddy and joked a little with them about needing to pay extra for air next time. But it bothered me, scared me. We had swam by a long cement culvert type cylinder/tube which we would have swum through had it not been blocked. Sitting here tonight, I wonder what would have happened had I run out inside that longish, dark tube? Depending on the length of it, I would question whether your instructor should be considering the culvert (as an open water diver you should not be in "overhead" situations as they require additional equipment and training). A swim through of a couple of metres might be ok if it is a break in the wall with virtually no chance of getting in to trouble, a long culvert is a different matter as any number of things could go wrong that you have not been trained for (OOA with no buddy available, entanglement, blockage etc). That is why it is OPEN WATER

I realize I am responsible for my own safety and will never dive again not being able to read my own gauge like that. I am not even sure how much air I started with. Have a read of Jim Lapenta's sticky at the top of this section of the forum - it makes good reading especially for us newbies!

I am a rank novice, though I have been comfortable up to this point. I've had two pool dives, plus the open water dive today and that's it. How bothered should this episode make me? Because I am somewhat bothered. Be bothered, it is your life that you are being trained to preserve underwater!

I would certainly have a word with the instructor and the shop and if you don't get a suitable answer, file a report of the incident.

I know your profile says "not certified" but I recall you posting about takng your OW course back in August or so. Was the dive you mention above the first dive of your OW course, or your first OW dive after gettng certified?

I know your profile says "not certified" but I recall you posting about takng your OW course back in August or so. Was the dive you mention above the first dive of your OW course, or your first OW dive after gettng certified?

This was my first OW, period. I am not certified. He has been good enough to work with me - rescheduling due to work and family conflicts. That's why I am not further along.

If the instructors here say to report the instructor, then thats the right course. If you like the instructor and otherwise have confidence in him at least have a serious discussion.

As to the event, buy him a beer (figuritively speaking) for giving you this critical event that will forever change your attitude to diving, give you insight into the importance of self responsibility and build the foundation of confidence that will serve you well on your future dives. Many of us don't have that moment until much later in our dives. Well done.

As to the contacts, if they are an impedence to clearly reading you gauges/screens, that needs attention.

You definitely need to have a chat, at least with the Instructor. I don't recall what agency your certification will be through, but the following should have been part of the briefing for one agency's OW1 dive:

Student divers learn a great deal while exploring, such as controlling body movement, direction and attitude, buddy contact and communication, monitoring air supply and general underwater awareness. Conduct frequent air supply checks and remind divers to stay close to their buddy.

One of you forgot something.

Last edited:
Congrats on how you handled that! As for feeling comfortable in the water again, make sure you figure out your contacts or get a prescription mask. I always dive with contacts and have rarely had problems with them, an occasional bit on salt water inside my mask that irritates an eye but have never lost them.

Get your own dive computer that you can read clearly rather than rented equipment. Always check how much air your tank has in it before your dive. The more you dive, the more you'll be irked when you tank wasn't filled all the way,especially if your dive buddy gets the fuller tank! Always check your computer throughout the dive to monitor your air, depth,etc... Eventually you'll get a better feel for how much air you consume on an average dive but I don't think you should stop or be concerned. It was a lesson learned early on and you shouldn't have been put in that position but handled it well.

We had swam by a long cement culvert type cylinder/tube which we would have swum through had it not been blocked. Sitting here tonight, I wonder what would have happened had I run out inside that longish, dark tube?

A swim through of a couple of metres might be ok if it is a break in the wall with virtually no chance of getting in to trouble,

Taking OW students into ANY overhead environment is an absolute standards violation.

Did you check your gauge under the water? Were you still not able to see it? Did the instructor check your air at all during the dive?

I agree with those who say have a talk with him about the situation then decide if you want to make a report from there...

Back
Top Bottom