What reg to buy and what else do I need to know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manneca

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My probably 15 year old reg needs to be replaced. It's the second reg I've ever owned and the only reason I have it is that my dive shop offered a trade in on this particular one that was worth considering. I've been diving 35 years. I think I probably have max 15-20 more years of diving before I get too decrepit to dive (I'm hoping to dive while they dump me in the water from my wheel chair). Other facts: I'm female and 69.

I do three-four dive trips a year to the Pacific. Saving weight is a somewhat minor consideration--I looked at titanium regs and travel BCDs and was not impressed with the weight saving, but I could be convinced. I might do one or two trips a year on airlines that have excess baggage fees that might get out of hand. I don't fly the LLCs.

I have no idea what to look for in a new reg. My old one was great. I never had a problem with it breathing hard. I don't mind paying for something that will last 15 years. I don't want to pay for what I don't need, though.

What would you suggest and why?
Thanks

Why do you think it needs replacing? Unless its a "parts not available" problem I would just keep using it. Which make/model is it?

My probably 15 year old reg needs to be replaced. It's the second reg I've ever owned and the only reason I have it is that my dive shop offered a trade in on this particular one that was worth considering. I've been diving 35 years. I think I probably have max 15-20 more years of diving before I get too decrepit to dive (I'm hoping to dive while they dump me in the water from my wheel chair). Other facts: I'm female and 69.

I do three-four dive trips a year to the Pacific. Saving weight is a somewhat minor consideration--I looked at titanium regs and travel BCDs and was not impressed with the weight saving, but I could be convinced. I might do one or two trips a year on airlines that have excess baggage fees that might get out of hand. I don't fly the LLCs.

I have no idea what to look for in a new reg. My old one was great. I never had a problem with it breathing hard. I don't mind paying for something that will last 15 years. I don't want to pay for what I don't need, though.

Thanks

What's wrong with your existing regulator that it can't be serviced and used?

You are going to find a lot of fans of older regs here. As previously stated, unless parts are unavailable - which is rare, or there is a major defect, older regulators are just as good and in some cases better than new regs.

However, if you are looking for lightweight regs, forget the titanium, it is just too expensive. As long as you don't need cold water performance, look at the Apeks Flight or Aqualung Micron. Both are very compact and light.

One of the considerations when buying a reg is service. Sticking with a brand the LDS regularly services allows you to stay local with the service. There are a lot of mail-order services though, and as long as you maintain your gear, you will only need an overhaul every few years.

Thanks

If I may, leisure pro has a really good sale on the AquaLung Mikron, $250.

I would recommend this reg as I've used the Mikron and its predecessor (Micra) for almost 20 years. In warm and cold (48 degree) water. No freeze ups or first stage free flows, ever. It's an excellent breather (even beyond rec limits), and is one of the lightest regulators ever made. Being Aqualung it can be serviced almost anywhere around the world.

The second stage is small and super light, so almost no jaw fatigue.

It's a great reg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To borrow a phase:
Any brand as long as it is Apeks. Have been using the same one(DS4 + TX50) for rec and tec dive since 1998. So unless the crown seat of the 1st stage is damaged there is no reason for me to replace it any time sooner. I had even learnt how to service it properly.
BTW, the regs are heavy though.

It may help if you told us what you don't like about your current set up, what reg you currently have and what brands the shop carries. With that info someone may be able to give you some guidance. Right now it sounds like you are seeing "new" as better and a deal because of a trade in program. For me, I don't see anything as a bargain unless first it is something I need. $20k off a new $80k boat isn't a deal unless I need a new $80k boat

Agree on Mikron. Its my go to travel regulator.

Add that is a great price.

Thanks. The housing is cracked and other parts need replacing. Cost to repair is upwards of $250. It is a Mares Abyss.
There is nothing I don't like about it. Other than it is heavy. I'm not tied to a shop at this point. The shop my son is associated with carries Aqualung, Scubapro, they look like they are an authorized dealer for almost every brand. I need a new SPG (mine flooded when the resort I was diving with in Bunaken replaced the hose and evidently didn't look at o rings). The console doesn't do a good job with my back up computer (it's too shallow for the computer place and salt water accumulates; easy fix is to put a hole in it so the water will drain).

The regulator has given me no problems in the time I've had it. I think it's just time to get a new one (by the time I've spend the money on repairs that they really can't guarantee will work because they could be putting new parts in places that don't fit).

I'm not looking at replacing it because there's a deal out there. I'm looking to replace it because the cost of repair is high.

One consideration on the "good" price on the Micron. Leisurepro is not a factory authorized dealer for Aqualung products so any warranty service required is thru them. Leisure Pro is NOT an authorized Aqua Lung dealer

Factory price on the Mikron is $495. Your son may be able to do a little better - some of the brands that set MAP/MSRP allow 10% wiggle room.

I do not know how that applies at an Aqualung dealer so you might ask your son. I'm pretty sure you don't qualify for Free Parts for Life though...:wink:

Back
Top Bottom