Canon S100 with Canon WP-DC43 - advice on an external strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dag1963

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
About 3 years ago I purchased the s100 and the Canon WP-DC43 housing. I have taken hundreds of pictures with this basic setup. I would like to go to the next level and get a strobe setup that will allow some flexiblility to do macro and wide angle shots with this camera and housing. Read lots of posts and visited many websites...no clear answer on what will or will not work.

So...I'm looking for some advice/recommendations on a tray/arm/strobe/cable setup with WP-DC43 housing. Heading to Roatan in February and looking to have a new setup in place well before then.

Thanks

Dave

We have two S95's.
They have inon baseplates and arms. They have Inon lense mounts fitted. The lense mounts allow us to use wet lenses that can be changed in water. We have Macro lenses and Wide angle lenses.
The strobes are Sea and Sea units, (the original strobe was an Inon which died).

There is far more money Invested in Strobes and lenses than in the camera and housing.

As an example of pictures taken with this setup take a quick look here.

Http://www.sisac.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=gallery;cat=162

I am away at the moment, but am happy to answer any questions.
Note- I am a happy snapper, not an expert photographer.

PS - with your current setup, are you using the short cut button to correct white balance?

Gareth...thanks for your response...I also a happy snapper...no way consider myself experienced in diving or in the photography aspects of SCUBA. I usually shoot in RAW so I never pay much attention to the WB...which SeaandSea units do you have?

strobes, tray and macro are very different things.

common popular strobe brands are either inon or sea & sea. you can buy new or used. if buying used make sure you get "digital" strobes that can handle the pre-flash.

for macro you need to discover if your camera will benefit from wet macro (diopter) lens. mine did not.

trays and arms can be very annoying. i love the ball design, but limit it to 2 arms (3 joints is
too many for my feeble brain to adjust). different arms have different size balls.

I use a sea and sea YS-01 with my S90, works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giffenk:

I notice you are in the Toronto area...do you have any recommend retail stores where in the GTA where you purchase UW photography equipment?

Dave

---------- Post added October 13th, 2015 at 11:28 PM ----------

I have a Macbook Air which I take with me when travelling and process the files Aperture.

Hi Dave,
I believe in order to use an external strobe with your housing you will need a Sea & Sea mask set. Once you have the mask set on your housing you will be able to use an external strobe that accepts a fiber optic cable.

Hope this helps!

matt

Giffenk:

I notice you are in the Toronto area...do you have any recommend retail stores where in the GTA where you purchase UW photography equipment?

Dave

---------- Post added October 13th, 2015 at 11:28 PM ----------

I have a Macbook Air which I take with me when travelling and process the files Aperture.

PM sent...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom