Marketable skills in the dive industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That picture is totally inaccurate!

No professional chef would use pans like that. :wink:

What do you think the fight was about!?!

Great advice here and you already have a good list of skills. From a business point of view, I look for computer skills and social media knowledge can be an advantage. This is not just knowledge of Facebook, but other means of media for example google+. I have hired people based on their ability to assist with updating of our websites and social media. Creative writing was also a bonus. As previously mentioned though, people skills a must ! Good luck and have a fun with your scuba diving!

What do you think the fight was about!?!

North Jersey vs South Jersey?

Scoobachef 2 skills I think in the modern age are important.
1)You have to be perceived as a nice guy that would do anything for his customers.
2)Being able to use social media is something that dive ops don't seem to do well.
-Congratulating divers on course completion/doing their first DSD on the company website facebook etc does go a really long way to enhance a companies image so enhance you with the company.

Learn the language where you want to work maybe? You will be surprised how many divers speak more than enough English, the boat crew might not though.
Learning how to co-ordinate a social media campaign between facebook, twitter, ect. is probably very important, and that is where a twenty something year old can beat you out. Physical fitness is probably important too, I'm often surprised how many job postings ask for a photo of full body. No one wants a flabby DM or instructor.

Reactions: RJP
I must respectfully disagree sir.
image.jpeg

Damn, I'm getting hungry now. I haven't had one in 10 years.

I must respectfully disagree sir.
View attachment 218073

Damn, I'm getting hungry now. I haven't had one in 10 years.

If you're going to Reading Terminal you're going to get a roast pork and broccoli rabe sandwich from DiNic's...

dinics.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom