Please suggest topside attractions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I will be living in Bali for a year and we can't be in the water 24/7, so we're also looking for topside attractions in SEA. What have you done that you liked? (Or didn't)?

I have just a few ideas so far, and please offer your suggestions. If you think that we might not like it, what the heck -- offer it and we'll check it out.

We like wildlife watching, (including, but limited to birds), day hikes, cultural and science museums, and of course good eats. Third-world cities are not usually my favorite places to be, and being a beach bum gets old pretty fast (I keep thinking of diving).

My list of places so far (which I haven't even checked-out) includes:

Singapore

Malaysian Borneo (Gunung Mulu Nat'l Park, Semenggoh Nature Reserve, Bako Nat'l Park)

Sabah - but where?

Birdwatching near Raja Ampat

Kimodo Dragons

Is Kuala Lumpur worth a visit? Bangkok?

Malaysian or Thai islands?

Thanks,

Bill & Emily

I've enjoyed visiting some of the many volcanos. On Java I thought Ijen volcano / Kawah Ijen was possibly my favorite with the sulphur vents down in the crater. Bromo is also worth a visit, as well as Keli Mutu on Flores. Then Yogyakarta in central Java has historic culture and royal palaces in the old city, and just outside the city are the temple complexes at Borobudur and Prambanan. If you're in North Sulawesi, a trip to the Tangkoko National Park seeing the troops of black celebes crested macaques at touching distance can be fun! I also enjoyed visiting Tomohon - I stayed at a hotel called Highland Resort (very nice) and a visit to the traditional market was an experience - fancy some bat or python for lunch?!

Sepilok orangutan sanctuary in Sabah

And very definitely Angkor Wat :)

Interesting. Bull races, hmmm... Same as campaign debates?

- Bill

Kinda sorta

100B1600.jpg100B1581.jpg

I enjoyed climbing the Ijen Volcano a lot as well. I did it at night time and got to see the blue flames, pretty impressive. Another one I am waiting to do is visit the Orangutans in Kalimantan. I think the Ijen Volcano is closed at this moment. Kalimantan is also not great to be at this very moment because of the smoke.There's lots of stuff to do in Bali though; 78 awesome things to do in Bali - Top Bali

Singapore

yeah... well, really in the case you miss a good eat. But then there's Bangkok.

Malaysian Borneo (Gunung Mulu Nat'l Park, Semenggoh Nature Reserve, Bako Nat'l Park)
Sure, for Sarawak you can also add the very nice Kuching Cultural village, normally I don't like these kind of attractions but this is very well done IMO, you can see the major tribes habitat architecture that would take you years to see elsewhere.
I also stayed in Batang Ai nature reserve 4hrs drive out of Kuching, it's a sunken forest where you can visit Iban longhouses and with some luck see some Orang outangs in the wild not like Sepilok or Semmengoh .

Sabah - but where?
Kinabantangan river for the wildlife and also Sepilok (better then Semmengoh), Mount Kinabalu park too.

Komodo Dragons

and crossing Flores, the tribes in Bajawa, the beautiful landscapes around Moni & the 3 colored lakes of Kelimutu

Is Kuala Lumpur worth a visit? This is OK if you go to Melaka old portuguese city (3hrs drive) or jump on a plane to Penang for a cultural chinese city and certainly the best of Malaysian food too.

Bangkok?
Yes definitely, I like Bangkok very much. Lots of temples, royal palace, flower market and great food. Chiang Mai up north is even more spectacular and so walking friendly at dusk in the old city, hopping from monasteries to a good foot massage.

Perhentians between May and september, Koh Lipe between december and april. Probably the epitome of tropical islands.

Other places you haven't cited :
Central Sulawesi, the hilly and cultural Toraja country. Great walks in the rice fields, friendly people, amazing architecture, spectacular culture, fantastic coffee.
Banda islands, this is where the whole story of Europe and the western world began. When the portuguese and the spanish prepared for discovering the new world, they were in fact looking for the Banda islands. The only Producer of nutmeg in the world, supposed to cure plague at this time and sold on a par to its weight of gold. Fascinating islands.
Angkor Wat. Should be first of the 7th wonders of the world. Period.
Luang Prabang in Laos. the whole city is the 8th Wonder of the world.
Burma, such a mystical country. The Shwedagon temple in Yangon is worth the trip, most beautiful active temple in SEA.
South Vietnam, I love so much taking a boat before the sunrise in Can Tho riding along the Mekong delta for the whole day. Hanoi and Saigon have the best local food in Asia, hands down. You shoudl take a month to visit Vietnam : Hanoi, the northern tribes Can Cau market, Hoi An old city, Nha Trang for some seafood, whimsical CaoDai temple around Saigon, the lively market cities on the Mekong delta (My Tho, Can Tho, Vinh Long).

Last edited:
Singapore

yeah... well, really if the case you miss a good eat. But then there's Bangkok.

Sure, for Sarawak you can also add a the very nice Kuching Cultural village, normally I don't like these kind of attraction but this is very well done, IMO, you can see the major tribes habitat architecture that would take you years to see elsewhere.
I also stayed in Batang Ai nature reserve 4hrs dirve out of Kuching, it a sunken forest where you can visit Iban longhouses and with some luck see some Orang outangs in the wild not like Sepilok or Semmengoh .

Sabah - but where?
Kinabantangan river for the wildlife and also Sepilok (better then Semmengoh), Mount Kinabalu park too.

Komodo Dragons

and crossing Flores, the tribes in Bajawa, the beautiful landscapes around Moni & the 3 colored lakes of Kelimutu

Is Kuala Lumpur worth a visit? This is OK if you go to Melaka old portuguese city (3hrs drive) or jump on a plane to Penang for a culktural chinese city an dthe best of Malaysian food too.

Bangkok?
Yes definitely, I like Bangkok very much. Lots of temples, royal palace, flower market and great food. Chiang Mai up north is even mor espactacular and so walking friendly at dusk, in the old city hopping from monasteries to a good foot massage.

Perhentians between May and september, Koh Lipe between december and april. Probably the epitome of tropical islands.

Other places you haven't cited :
Central Sulawesi, the hilly and cultural Toraja country. Great walks in the rice fields, friendly people, amazing architecture, spectacular culture, fantastic coffee.
Banda islands, this is were the whole story of Europe and the western world began. When the portuguese and the spanish prepared for discovering the new world, they were in fact looking for the Banda islands. The only Producer of nutmeg in the world, supposed to cure plague at this time and sold on a par to its weight of gold. Fascinating islands.
Angkor Wat. Should be first of the 7th wonders of the world. Period.
Luang Prabang in Laos. the whole city is the 8th Wonder of the world.
Burma, such a mystical country. The Shwedagon temple in Yangon is worth the trip, most beautiful active temple in SEA.
South Vietnam, I love so much taking a boat before the sunrise in Can Tho and ride along the Mekong delta for the whole day. Hanoi and Saigon have the best local food in Asia, hands down. You shoudl take a month to visit Vietnam : Hanoi, the northern tribes Can Cau market, Hoi An old city, Nha Trang for some seafood, whimsical CaoDai temple around Saigon, the lively market cities on the Mekong delta (My Tho, Can Tho, Vinh Long).

Well, I guess we're just going to have to make our year's stay in Bali into 2 years! or five!!

These are wonderful suggestions, I knew I'd get great ideas!!

- Bill & Emily

Well, I guess we're just going to have to make our year's stay in Bali into 2 years! or five!! . . .

No kidding. "Southeast Asia" is a big place. You could spend a year exploring just Bali and the neighboring islands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom