Jaw fatigue..... What's the band aids?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard these are not good because they had problems bursting, degradation of the plastic, etc. Is that still true? Is there a general consensus on their reliability? Seems like people here use them but then I have met people who avoid them like the plague!
It was actually an issue back in 2012. Didn't jeard anything after they upgraded their LP and HP hoses.

They claimed it was misused. And they laser etched their name and serial number on the fitting so that people recognize it's a miflex. In case of failure, they will take full responsibility. That's a sign of commitment.

Degradation was due to contaminated air and not UV. UV will attack outside first, not inside.

I only summarize what they said. I didn't have any first hand experience with Miflex.

Attached is the link to their statement.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...F1jlzeREy-OOpX06g&sig2=ezVayfVaAq3B2GWfgx81mg

A good quality moldable mouthpiece that is offset for the upper and lower jaws is the best bet to prevent jaw fatigue while diving. SeaCure was designed by an orthodontist, Dr. Randall Moles, who has even written a book on TMJ (jaw) issues.

The mouthpiece that a diver uses is very important. There was a study released last year that showed that poor mouthpieces cause jaw pain and jaw damage in 41% of previously jaw pain free divers! None of us want to be one of those divers!!!

What is this jaw fatigue that you speak of?

IMG_5337_zpsm2789hax.jpg

2014 VDH Argonaut Kraken.

N

Many divers end up with an achy, sometimes painful jaw or even a headache after they dive from clenching on a flimsy mouthpiece. A SeaCure custom moldable mouthpiece, after it is molded to a diver's mouth, takes away the need to clench and therefore takes away the jaw fatigue after diving.

I will jump on the seacure bandwagon.

Used to have horrible issues with jaw pain and headaches to the point that I would take my reg out underwater to flex my jaw for a few seconds on dives.

I got one of the moldable mouthpieces and promptly stabbed myself in the back of the mouth with it.

After reading the instructions and trimming it like they say I molded it to my chompers and have had a much better experience.

A word of warning I will give about them. Be careful when you do the molding to not push them too far into your mouth. I wound up with one that was rubbing on my upper gumline and led to some bleeding on a dive. Redid the molding process 1/8" further back and it is great.

Put a Seacure on my wife's Atomic. With that plus the swivel that came with the Z3 she is happy. After our recent trip with 11 dives she has no complaints.

Plus the Seacure is pink. I think she would have faked some kind of discomfort to justify it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPDATE:

Hey just coming back to update the forum on my gear choices. I have a handful more dives since the last time posting and finally pulled the trigger on some regs. I ended up buying Hollis DC3/212 set, that I found at $150, which I think is a good bang per buck. (2 sets me & wife).

I noticed on my last few dives with rental gear, that the hose routing was pulling my head. To combat this I am thinking of buying 40" braided hose (or miflex if the forum thinks thats better) and putting a 90* elbow on my 2nd stage. This will also be my donor reg in OOA scenarios. The hollis regs look like they come with a good mouth piece, but if i don't like it I will probably try the secure.

Lastly I think I will be modifying my hood, when I finally buy one. Has anyone trimmed theirs before so that the mandible isn't covered? What would be the best way to go about this?

problem with trimming the hood is the increase exposure, best to find one that fits properly and is well designed. I prefer the ones with a zipper in the back of the neck that you can open to look forward more easily. Remember that neoprene is laminated on both sides with fabric that are prone to fraying and delaminating, so you will want to deal with that if you choose to trim it. With appropriate thickness hoods and those that fit, I do not find jaw comfort to be an issue.

regarding hose routing, the best option is really to go with some sort of hogarthian or modified hogarthian setup. The Dive Rite XT AOW hose setup is a good starting point if you do not want to "Deal" with a long hose. There are pros and cons, with the major con being that if it comes out if your mouth, it has a long way to fall and can catch on stuff. The pro's are that it is generally easier to route, especially if you have a jacket BC. I use both depending on where I am and what I'm doing.

regarding mouthpiece. Before you try Seacure, I would try the Aqualung Comfobite mouthpieces. I have TMJ, and I find them comfobites to be very helpful because you don't have to bite at all, the reg just kind of hangs out because the ridge behind your teeth hold onto it very well.

Some hoods are made to be trimmed to fit. To fit my small brain :), I need a small hood and the mouth area had to be trimmed a fair bit but I would be very hesitant to trim to below the jaw.

I have a Comfobite. Never had any issue with jaw fatigue or pain until one week long dive trip. Switched to Seacure with no further problems but I agree that if you haven't yet, try the Comfobite first.

I use the 36 to 40 inch rubber hose with swivel to first stage as primary and am very pleased with it. Others prefer an elbow instead of the swivel, a little lighter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom