SSI science of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey markmud I will be taking the in shop class this Thursday afternoon. Don't know if that's when they will want me to take the test or not or if I will have to take more than one class. If I test out on Thursday I'll be sure to update this post with my thoughts and score with any advice I can give from my experience.
As of right now I'm sitting at work with book in hand reviewing what I feel weak in. Will keep updating as I continue on. I will say that I thought the decompression theory portion could use some work. I feel that more attention could have been payed to that section and less time on the equipment section. My thought on that is that most divers I know have read more about gear in the first year of there diving career than they will read on decompression theory in the first 3 years.

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

Tomorrow is the day ! I feel very prepared for this class. Read the book 2 times have been through the reviews more than I can count. Hope this goes well,I'll definitely be glad to have this one behind me. Everyone says this is the hardest specialty to take yet the material seems rather simple. Hope everyone is over selling the difficulty of the test. And I'm not missing anything... class report to come tomorrow night

---------- Post added October 15th, 2015 at 07:46 PM ----------

So I had my in class session today and took the exam. My impression of the class was basically an in depth review of the book and I feel my instructor did a good job at that. We went through each section of the material and he explained anything that I felt I was not getting. Now onto the test. The test was 100 questions and the first 25 were physics. The next 25 was physiology. Then onto decompression theory and dive planning / repetitive dive planning. The rest of the test was on gear and the underwater world.
Section one physics, have no clue how I did... my thought on this is that it was very poorly written. I found a few spots with missing information and was told when I pointed them out that "we will have to wave those questions " and I am told ssi Is aware of these issues and will not fix them.

Section two physiology: did well here I believe. Also poorly written.

Section 3 deco and dive planning: easy and repetitive of what I learned in basic ow.

Section 4: equipment and underwater world : did well here as far as I can tell. I felt that that this section was a lot of ssi gear pushing hype and opinions.

surprised they did not mark the exam as soon as you were finished. we always do this immediately after the exam and discuss the questions the student got wrong

Shop owner was conducting an interview with a potential hire. I know the owner well,he will likely just shoot me a text to let me know how I did and next time I come in we can go over the test if need be. But yes normally that would be the standard.

Test passed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

very nice. congrats !!

Thanks I'm at least assuming i passed as my ssi. App updated with my sod card on it. I have not made it back to the shop in a while due to other obligations. I won't lie ,the test was difficult. And it seemed to have a large amount of pointless questions that will never come up in any real world sport diving that I can think of. But it's behind me now and I learned a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom