Video and Strobe Arm Arrangements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C Monkey

Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to minimize the number of arms need to host 2 video lights and 2 strobes. I have read that having two lights one on each side of the camera allows for wide angle and limiting backscatter. Supposedly this is true for both video and stills. So why is it that video lights can not be arranged to piggyback strobe lights? Couldn't mounting video light to the strobes prevent the need for four arms? Is there such a set up, or am I overlooking something?

Another reason for approaching it this way, would be that I could minimize adjusting the lighting when switching over from video to stills, since the video lights and strobes are already positioned together for the transition.

Last edited:
I suspect the answer to your questions have more to do with marketing than function. The fact that loc line arms seem to be most common, these days, may also be a contributing factor.

FWIW: the old Nikonos Strobe arms I use could easily accommodate a strobe and video light. Unfortunately, I can't get my Nikonos serviced so I shoot video and mount two video lights per arm instead:

configuration-110814_zps0bda6be2.jpg

Thanks for replying 3D Diver.

What if I were to use a triple clamp such as this one....

img_0956112312_1.jpg

I could mount one to the arm, one to the video light and one to the strobe. My first thought is it would be too heavy for the flex arms. However, the video light and strobe may not be as heavy as I think. The strobe is the Sea and Sea YS-01...
Dimensions 2.7 x 4.3 x 5.2" (68 x 108 x 129mm)
Weight (Land) 17.7 oz (505g)
and the video light is the FIX Neo 3000 DX...
Size:W53 x H57 x L110mm
Weight:355g Air

Does anyone have any thoughts on weather this approach would be reasonable?

Yes, but ... IMO those triple clamps are 50% more of a PITA than the regular ones. I didn't use one for long before losing patience with it and putting it on ebay.

triple clamps require 3 hands to operate.

Thanks for the heads up. Not having used one makes it difficult for me to know.

I did find this and it appears I'm not the only one with this approach. Problem is, this is the only thing I've found that supports my thinking...

72512-500x500.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. Not having used one makes it difficult for me to know.

I did find this and it appears I'm not the only one with this approach. Problem is, this is the only thing I've found that supports my thinking...

72512-500x500.jpg
Interesting gadget. How much?

There are also some "triple ball" arms around. Essentially an arm with a ball at each end and 1 in the middle. Not sure of the cost.

I am interested in your problem because I want to mount additional strobes and have not yet found a simple cost effective and usable means. I use 2 ball arms per strobe and love the system. My goal would be to attach 2 strobes together so that they work in concert. I have tried 3 strobes on 3 separate arms and that is just too cumbersome and confusing for my brain.

I have the nauticam clamps with the accessory YS mount. They work just fine.

I am on the verge of buying this setup. Before I make the move, I am hoping to get a consensus as to whether or not this is a reasonable approach to an arrangement.

From what I have seen with other setups, this is not the conventional method. Can anyone foresee a reason why this would be ill advised?

I appreciate the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom