Less Expensive O-ring for Sea&Sea Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'd like to replace (and have a spare) o-ring on the battery compartment for my S&S YS-110 (same as YS-D1 / YS-01 / YS 02 / YS-110a). The best price I can find on-line is still ~ $10. This seems a little excessive for what must be a standard o-ring size.

Does anyone have the size they'd be willing to share?

I am not at all sure it is a standard size at least a standard JIS size. My measurements are a 40 mm OD with a 3 mm wall and calculating here a 34 mm ID. You can buy silicone versions of these at 10 for $12.00. Plus shipping so you won't save a lot of money but you will have spares.
Bill

I wouldn't want to risk using a third party o-ring myself.

I am just curious as to why you think you need new orings?

I have the impression (opinion) that many people waste vast quantities of time and money fiddling with / replacing orings based upon FUD.

The original orings on my YS110s are fine. Same with my YS90. And all of my YS50s. When I bought my first strobes (YS110s) I drank the koolaid and bought extra orings. They are still in the original package.

I am just curious as to why you think you need new orings?

I have the impression (opinion) that many people waste vast quantities of time and money fiddling with / replacing orings based upon FUD.

The original orings on my YS110s are fine. Same with my YS90. And all of my YS50s. When I bought my first strobes (YS110s) I drank the koolaid and bought extra orings. They are still in the original package.

I usually remove and grease the O-ring on my camera and strobe every time I open the camera case or strobe (the only time I didn't do this on my strobe I had a partial flood). No matter how careful I am pulling the O-ring, it is going to get stretched and distorted.

My cheap nature objects to paying S&S $14 for a $1 item

I usually remove and grease the O-ring on my camera and strobe every time I open the camera case or strobe (the only time I didn't do this on my strobe I had a partial flood). No matter how careful I am pulling the O-ring, it is going to get stretched and distorted.

My cheap nature objects to paying S&S $14 for a $1 item
I have the same cheap nature (Scottish heritage?). Any time I panic and feel the need to buy orings for anything, I go to a local industrial supplier and ask for some "engineering samples". They are free. Unless it is Friday. Then they want "$10 cash for the boys" (which I believe means "for the pub").

The oring for these strobes is a standard JIS 2401 "G35" - 34.4 mm internal diameter, 3.1mm cross section.

Why are you fiddling with your oring every time you open the case?

My routine is to grease my orings at the start of every trip. I then NEVER remove them during the trip unless I screwed up and silted myself out - this means there maybe sand on the rings. If this actually happens, a quick removal, spit & shine and replacement happens. No new grease, no stretching, no pulling. No extra fiddling.

Every time you fiddle with an oring is an opportunity for you to screw up.

orings generally only "stretch" under the following conditions:
- you stretch the hell out of them by pulling them to 3, 4 or more times their normal size
- you applied incorrect lube which caused them to "melt"

Based upon years of observation, my opinion is that the photogs that fiddle with orings every dive are the ones that flood something before the end of the week.

Out of curiosity, how much you planning on spending???.......What's a few bucks for a 100% PROPER fitting o-ring??......

What material and durometer are you using?

I received the O-rings today. Silicone 34 x 3 mm. Since they are only sealing out a delta of 3-4 ATM, I'm not sure why their durometer would be relevant.
What am I missing?

Back
Top Bottom