Newly Minted PSSI!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveBF

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Finished Dive Rescue International's PSSI course yesterday!!! Holy Moly What a week! Can't recommend the DRI PSSI course enough! By far the best and most challenging dive training I've ever been through...Not for the faint of heart though!!

glad you enjoyed it...congratulation on your completion....

Congrats again. No small feat I am sure.

How did you find the course? In line with the other DRI courses? Provide any new insight that you lacked before?

Jackson,
I've had nothing but great experiences with Dive Rescue International and would recommend any of their training to my fellow PSDs. I knew going in that the PSSI course was going to be physically challenging and I certainly wasn't disappointed. I thought I was an OK diver going in but after Med Diver and PSSI back to back (and PADI DM at the same time) I realize in hindsight that I was really lacking a lot of knowledge... particularly in the areas of physiology and dive physics. I also really got good at my scuba skills and skills demonstrations AND having to score a 16 on the IADRS watermanship test forces off the couch and into he pool and I'm 30lbs lighter for the effort.

I spent a good 5 months preparing for the class and the 60 hours they say it takes to prepare is probably on the low side of what is really required (especially if you count the hours in the pool). One thing that became crystal clear to me was that there is a big difference between scoring a 12 and scoring a 16 on the watermanship test. First off, if you take it in a pool, no matter how hard you train and try it is nearly impossible to max the 100yrd diver tow so you have to make it up on the other events. Maybe it's because I'm 49 but I had a devil of a time breaking 10 minutes on the 500 (finally started to see times in the high 9's the week before class after countless hours in the pool). Breaking 15 minutes wasn't nearly as hard but I had to fin for my life. At the end of the day I did end up with 19 points but they were all hard fought for and there is no way I would have been able to do that without grinding it out in the pool every morning. Not to mention, the IADRS Watermanship is the least physical thing you will do on day one (aside from taking the PSD exam again).

Anyway, I took away great satisfaction from certifying fully and came away with a headful of knowledge not only about diving but maybe more importantly about myself that will serve me and my teammates well in the future. Like all of the DRI corporate trainers Kevin McAfee was absolutely the best of the best in diving and it was a privilege to be trained by him.

Cheers!
Steve

Congrats!

Tough week for sure, not to mention all the prep work leading up to the course. I could hardly contain my excitement when Blades and Brad told me I passed!

Where was your course?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom