New diver - questions and thoughts on BC setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, lots of good advice here.

I'm 100% sold on the BP/W setup. The only issue now is finding a good brand and price shipped to HK. It looks like the "better" brands are: HOG, Halcyon, Hollis, Zeagle, ScubaPro. I've seen in-house brands by Diverite and DGX, but nobody here seems to have mentioned them.

Also, dmaziuk and tobin both makes a good point about getting the plate and wings from the same brand, so that everything fits nicely together. Looks like I can avoid the STA that way - one less piece of gear to buy/manage.

You guys have convinced me to skip the shoulder pads and backplate pad. I'll start with plain straps first.

Seems like the main disagreement here is between AL or SS backplates. Currently, I dive with a 3mm suit. On some tropical dives, that may be a shorty, or even a T-shirt if it gets really warm. Additionally, the LDS boat in HK generally gives us AL63 tanks instead of AL80. Given all that variation, it seems like an AL BP gives me more flexibility. I can always add 3-5 lbs of trim weight on the tank strap or something if needed.

I'm leaning toward the following:
- AL BP
- PLAIN webbing harness
- 25# bag (HOG / Hollis / Oxycheq / OMS / Zeagle / ???)

Pricing seems to be around:
- Wings $300
- BP $75
- Harness $50
- Cambands $50

A rig should retail for around $475. The nasty bit is shipping. If I buy outside of HK, it will cost around $80 to send it here. OTOH, the LDS tend to over charge a lot, so I'll have to research the cheapest way. (One LDS wants $1,000 for a Halcyon wing + BP + Straps)

Next up, I'll have to decide on brand and model for regulator. But, I'm afraid that will open an entirely new can of worms. But, a lot of the LDS and online shops will give hefty discounts if everything is bought together, so maybe worth exploring. (Locally, EVERY shop her is aggressively pushing Scubapro stuff)

Wow, lots of good advice here.

I'm 100% sold on the BP/W setup. The only issue now is finding a good brand and price shipped to HK. It looks like the "better" brands are: HOG, Halcyon, Hollis, Zeagle, ScubaPro. I've seen in-house brands by Diverite and DGX, but nobody here seems to have mentioned them.

Also, dmaziuk and tobin both makes a good point about getting the plate and wings from the same brand, so that everything fits nicely together. Looks like I can avoid the STA that way - one less piece of gear to buy/manage.

You guys have convinced me to skip the shoulder pads and backplate pad. I'll start with plain straps first.

Seems like the main disagreement here is between AL or SS backplates. Currently, I dive with a 3mm suit. On some tropical dives, that may be a shorty, or even a T-shirt if it gets really warm. Additionally, the LDS boat in HK generally gives us AL63 tanks instead of AL80. Given all that variation, it seems like an AL BP gives me more flexibility. I can always add 3-5 lbs of trim weight on the tank strap or something if needed.

I'm leaning toward the following:
- AL BP
- PLAIN webbing harness
- 25# bag (HOG / Hollis / Oxycheq / OMS / Zeagle / ???)

Pricing seems to be around:
- Wings $300
- BP $75
- Harness $50
- Cambands $50

A rig should retail for around $475. The nasty bit is shipping. If I buy outside of HK, it will cost around $80 to send it here. OTOH, the LDS tend to over charge a lot, so I'll have to research the cheapest way. (One LDS wants $1,000 for a Halcyon wing + BP + Straps)

Next up, I'll have to decide on brand and model for regulator. But, I'm afraid that will open an entirely new can of worms. But, a lot of the LDS and online shops will give hefty discounts if everything is bought together, so maybe worth exploring. (Locally, EVERY shop her is aggressively pushing Scubapro stuff)

Hi Noah,

Me too from HK, I just bought my rig online this summer, if u need more info about the shipping cost, feel free to pm me:D

One thing to consider is what tanks will you be using when traveling to different destinations. I have an XDeep Ghost which has a really light BP, but when diving steel tanks in the Aegean last month, I was overweighted. I'm looking at seeing if I can find a lighter (composite) BP for the future.

The nasty bit is shipping. If I buy outside of HK, it will cost around $80 to send it here.

I believe Dive Gear eXpress ships free worldwide. They've a cheapest package, too, at $299. Apparently their wing uses thinner urethane for the bladder and some people complain about it moving around too much -- because the centerpiece is a pair of strips rather than a solid chunk of fabric. No idea how much of a problem either of those are in real life.

Personally I like my 18 pound Halcyon wing...which I got when they first came out...I believe 1997.,.,.It is as good today, as it was then...with every indication it will last another 20 years.
Halcyon has a warranty policy beyond belief...Back in the late 90's, my friend Jim Abernethy liked the looks of my Halcyon gear, so he got one himself. After loving the Halcyon gear with his every day diving, and him bragging about the gear all the time....he had a Hammerhead bite into him from the rear end, while he was spearfishing....The shark bit down on the steel backplate, and the wing got a half moon shaped series of tiny punctures where the teeth got through to jim's skin...just slightly. He was fine, with a good story, but the wing now had tiny holes in it.....He asked if Halcyon would give him a good deal on another wing.....and in fact, they gave him another brand new wing, as a warranty claim, on the spot.

Point being...Halcyon has amazing customer service, and the durability of their wings is what first separated them from all other wings at the first DEMA show they ever showed up at....A big part of the demo, was showing each competing wing...the outside material, the inside, and how puncture resistant each was. Halcyon blew the others away...

On the other hand...if money is tight....if the wing you are looking at is small, and looks hydrodynamic ( low drag)...then configure with low buoyancy wetsuit, and dive with little need for much air in your wing...and if it ever does fail...Big Deal! Who cares? You swim up, paste some rubber cement on it if this fixes it, or send it back....either way, it should be years off, if ever, and not an issue now :)

If you click on Tobins deepseasupply link he has a "rig configurator" where you can ala cart a complete setup. He makes Kydex instead of aluminium backplates. If you will always use a single tank it would be fine.

It includes everything for a "DIR" or "Hog" rig which might not mean much to you but it means it has everything you would need minus the extra crap you wouldnt.

Noah: Regarding Wings make sure the wing itself has a separate inner bladder with and an outer protective cover. Most are but some are one piece which are more susceptible to wear or damage.

I can recommend Dive Rite - the voyager wing and transplate harness rig, Apex is another strong UK technical brand with their WTX range of wings and harness - and Frog - the Indego I also have wing set ups from both of them

As a user of a comfort harness I recommend the simple webbing harness - I have mine for a specific reason rather than the reasons they are marketed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom