First trip to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I are traveling to Cozumel next year for a dive trip. We are staying for 5 nights. I have no idea where we should stay or dive and want some recommendations. Price is of some concern but not the deciding factor. We don't need anything super fancy. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Kyle

Kyle,

My wife and I stay at Hotel Barracuda right on the southern edge of the downtown area. Dive Paradise is the dive shop attached to the hotel but you don't have to dive with them if you're inclination is to use a different dive organization.

The Barracuda is far from extravagant but their prices are reasonable, it's right on the ocean, there is a pool, and you're in easy walking distance to a lot of the better food options in Cozumel. Another plus is it's directly across the street from the Mega (think Walmart) so you can easily grab some snacks for the room, pick up extra sunscreen, etc..

There are tons of reviews on tripadvisor.com but, here's the one I wrote about a year ago.

Best budget hotel for divers in Cozumel - Review of Barracuda, Cozumel, Mexico - TripAdvisor

Best of luck.

. . . .We don't need anything super fancy. . . .

Just out of curiosity, what would you Cozumel insiders consider "super fancy"?

Dinner at the Presidente is super fancy. Don't know about the rooms.

My guess is that the Presidente and the Palace represent the ultra fancy. Don't know about the remodeled Fiesta Americana.

Dave Dillehay

El Presidente and the Cozumel Palace, with our preference between those two going to the Palace.

We also like the Hotel Cozumel, if you want to stay in town, and Secrets Aura or Sunscape Sabor if you want to go south to the beaches.

For diving, it's Aldora. Always.

Tres Pelicanos has dive/hotel specials at great rates. Another option is to check out airbnb which has apts or rooms close to/or in town, very reasonable rates.

El Presidente and the Cozumel Palace, with our preference between those two going to the Palace.

We also like the Hotel Cozumel, if you want to stay in town, and Secrets Aura or Sunscape Sabor if you want to go south to the beaches.

For diving, it's Aldora. Always.

Your second paragraph is just recommendations, not a continuation of fancy, right?
because Sunscape Sabor is basically the opposite of fancy. It was fine, but budget accommodations all the way.

Last edited:
Your second paragraph is just recommendations, not a continuation of fancy, right?
because Sunscape Sabor is basically the opposite of fancy. It was fine, but budget accommodations all the way.

That is correct. Neither Hotel Cozumel or the southern resorts are fancy. They're mid-level resorts.

No liveboard in Cozumel?

why would you need a liveboard? the reef is less than a mile off shore & there are way too many great restaurants to eat at to stay on a boat your entire trip.

It is very confusing trying to find a place to stay and a dive op when you have never been somewhere before. You almost just have to take a leap of faith after doing your best research and be observant while you are here to see if there is another place you would like to try on your next trip.

Most dive ops do not pick up in the Northern Hotel Zone as the Marine Park and the harbor the dive ops use are both south of the cruise ship piers, Aldora is one exception to this.

Blue Angel Resort is where we stay and dive, have for several years now. Small property just a mile south of town (not south of the cruise ship piers, most of those properties are AI), it's located about 1/2 way between downtown and the main cruise ship piers: The International and Puerto Maya piers), very popular in house dive op and restaurant. Large, clean rooms, with all balconies facing the ocean and pool area, it is located right on the water ... not all properties are, a lot of them are across the street from the ocean.

Other non-AI properties south of town & north of the International Pier:
Hotel Cozumel (although I think they offer an AI option)
Casa del Mar
Casa Mexicana (located downtown, I think, most dive ops will pick you up at a downtown pier if you stay there)
Tiki Village (very small property)

Other top reco. dive ops:
Aldora
BlueXTSea
Bottom time divers
Living Underwater
Scuba with Alison
ScubaTony
Tres Pelicanos ... most of these have lodging options available as well, but you can pretty much stay anywhere on the island, south of town, and most dive ops will pick you up at your hotel pier.

Aldora has their own, very nice, Villas and are located in the Northern Hotel Zone.

If you have about a 1/2 hour, here's a segment I did for the Shark Tank on Finding a dive op on Coz ...
The Shark Tank radio show: Tips on finding a Dive Operator on Cozumel ...

Back
Top Bottom