Jamaica - West End (Samsara Cliffs) - suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going in a month. Staying at west end. Any suggestions?

Wow! You bring back memories. Haven't dived Negril in 15 years, but I remember Samsara from the 70s, a hippy hangout and music venue. the name, of course, is from Hindu mythology and means the cycle of birth, death, and reincarnation.

I keep in touch with friends who live in and near Negril. I believe there is a good dive operation located at the Negril Yacht Club at the bottom of the cliffs. Gunther? a German at any rate.

Diving has improved as new construction has declined, but a lot of killing, mostly Jamaicans involved in the Jamaican Lottery Fraud.

Dream Team Diver's. Ken Brown and Sabine. Wonder people and yes, German.

You might also want to check out xxx. We've dove with them for three out of our four trips to Negril, and will be diving with them again this December.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, how is the west end diving? What are we in for? We are long time cold water/freshwater divers (Great Lakes & St. Lawrence), with one trip together to Bonaire many years ago, & I was at San Salvador eons before......

Last edited:
So, how is the west end diving? What are we in for? We are long time cold water/freshwater divers (Great Lakes & St. Lawrence), with one trip together to Bonaire many years ago, & I was at San Salvador eons before......

As pointed out above, this will be our fourth trip to Negril. Since we first dived there in 2003, we have seen constant improvement in the health of the reefs and expanding fish populations. The diving fits our expectations of easy and relaxing. Your aren't going to be experiencing strong currents or massive structure (but for us, we can find that elsewhere). You won't see a lot of big stuff, but what you will see will be colorful and and lively.

And my wife says we should be jealous of anyone staying at the Cliffs.

A warm limpid blue fishbowl.

I first dived Negril 50 years ago, shortly after the road from Green Island was cut through and the Morass allowed to flush out, reducing the mosquito problem. It was a paradise, so much so that its fame spread far and wide, bringing a construction boom in the 80s and 90s that killed the inshore reefs and caused the magnificent beach to wash away. The new road built shortly thereafter really silted things to death.

The beach is gone forever, but it was overbuilt from end to end, so there has been much less construction in recent years, allowing much of the offshore reef to improve from the sorry state in was in 15 years ago.

You will enjoy diving there very much. There is a lot to see, and the diving conditions are wonderfully soft and easy. The West End, as the cliffs are more properly known, are beautiful. Be sure to explore the sea caves directly below where you are staying, and don't miss the conch tea (what Jamaicans call soup) at Chicken Lavish.

Ackee breakfasts can't be matched anywhere else in the Caribbean, and you will be walking in the footprints of people from a legendary time. I partied with the Allman brothers, met Ted Kennedy, got to know Yellowman, once listened to Bob Marley serenade about 5 of us at a small place on the West End. 'I don't want to wait in vain' Rita was a good friend.

Walk good.

Aww - we dive the St Lawence in the summer - live near Syracuse. We love Negril for many reasons. We would not plan a dive holiday there but would dive if we were going on vacation. The Cliffs are special to us as we were married there. It's healthy and good - enjoy your time in Negil.

We would not plan a dive holiday there but would dive if we were going on vacation.

exactly what is occurring......

Aww - we dive the St Lawence in the summer - live near Syracuse. We love Negril for many reasons. We would not plan a dive holiday there but would dive if we were going on vacation. The Cliffs are special to us as we were married there. It's healthy and good - enjoy your time in Negil.

Almost exactly why we continue to go back to Jamaica, and Negril in particular. We were married in Negril, and in addition to the diving, there are so many other things to do on the island to make it a fully rounded vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom