Buying used gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not saying that buying new is better just another option. If you look and take your time you can find some good deals on used equipment as well.

When I purchased new regulators for my wife and I a couple of months ago scubapro mk25 evo / s600 I paid $474.95 each from an authorized dealer with full warranty. I know you can get other regulators and brands for less but when I was looking most of the used like scubapro regulators were maybe $70 - 90 less for me it was not worth saving that amount to get used gear that needed serviced or did not come with a warranty

Certainly a well used BCD might not be something you want to buy. There are though, many people who bought their gear right after getting certified and then stopped diving shortly after.

So buying a used BC with less than 10 dives on it at possibly less than half price would be a pretty good deal.

I have bought new gear and I have bought used gear. I can outfit at least 4 divers with all gear including exposure...

If I was in the position to start over, I would only be looking at used gear to start off with.

That was my thought process. There's a lot of gear out there that new divers purchased and then put in a closet.

In class I used a ScubaPro Knighthawk and would love to find a deal on a used one. I'm 6'6 and larger than the average bear, and the XXL Knighthawk fit and worked well for me. I see quite a few for sale in all sorts of price ranges, but most are about 50% or less than the cost of new. I'm not sure what Air Delivery System to go with yet as I'm only familiar with a few of the different features, but we used high quality Scubapro regs in class, and that's probably the direction I'll go.

I have no qualms about buying anything else used, so I'm not sure why I'm freaked out about scuba gear. You guys have a wealth of information, thanks for sharing!

That was my thought process. There's a lot of gear out there that new divers purchased and then put in a closet.

In class I used a ScubaPro Knighthawk and would love to find a deal on a used one. I'm 6'6 and larger than the average bear, and the XXL Knighthawk fit and worked well for me. I see quite a few for sale in all sorts of price ranges, but most are about 50% or less than the cost of new. I'm not sure what Air Delivery System to go with yet as I'm only familiar with a few of the different features, but we used high quality Scubapro regs in class, and that's probably the direction I'll go.

I have no qualms about buying anything else used, so I'm not sure why I'm freaked out about scuba gear. You guys have a wealth of information, thanks for sharing!

at your height, the Long backplate from Deep Sea Supply will fit you better than anything else out there....

at your height, the Long backplate from Deep Sea Supply will fit you better than anything else out there....

I think I need to learn more about backplates and wings, you're not the first to tell me this. Thanks

not much to learn. Call Tobin, buy one, be glad that you supported local business, bought one of the highest quality rigs available, won't have to worry about resale, because you're a big guy you won't have excessive amounts of lift, and will have a rig lighter and more streamlined than any jacket in your size....

Knighthawk in XXL weighs 9.5lbs, takes at least 2lbs to sink, and has 45lbs of lift which is way too much unless you are diving in a 7mm farmer john with a steel 130.
DSS Long Pattern SS plate with wing is somewhere around 10-11lbs, is 7lbs negative so you can take that off of your belt, packs flat, and you can get it in anything from a 12lb to 57lb lift wing depending on your needs. Will last literally forever because it's a hunk of Stainless Steel. Oh, and it's almost $150 cheaper, and Made in USA

It's a no brainer once you think about it.

I am not saying that buying new is better just another option. If you look and take your time you can find some good deals on used equipment as well.

When I purchased new regulators for my wife and I a couple of months ago scubapro mk25 evo / s600 I paid $474.95 each from an authorized dealer with full warranty. I know you can get other regulators and brands for less but when I was looking most of the used like scubapro regulators were maybe $70 - 90 less for me it was not worth saving that amount to get used gear that needed serviced or did not come with a warranty

The key to good deals in used gear is knowledge and patience. Your very specific requirement might take some work and time to find at the right price (which I would put at about $200).

For example: Scubapro MK25 S600 Scuba Regulator DIN | eBay

BTW, I would not assume a service of used regulators to be a necessary expense and typical limited warranties on regulators which require periodic service to keep in force will cost you in the long run. My regs normally go 5+ years between service.

not much to learn. Call Tobin, buy one, be glad that you supported local business, bought one of the highest quality rigs available, won't have to worry about resale, because you're a big guy you won't have excessive amounts of lift, and will have a rig lighter and more streamlined than any jacket in your size....

Knighthawk in XXL weighs 9.5lbs, takes at least 2lbs to sink, and has 45lbs of lift which is way too much unless you are diving in a 7mm farmer john with a steel 130.
DSS Long Pattern SS plate with wing is somewhere around 10-11lbs, is 7lbs negative so you can take that off of your belt, packs flat, and you can get it in anything from a 12lb to 57lb lift wing depending on your needs. Will last literally forever because it's a hunk of Stainless Steel. Oh, and it's almost $150 cheaper, and Made in USA

It's a no brainer once you think about it.

Glad to see this as BP&W is potentially the direction I will be going in (and pretty similar sizing at 6'3). This works out at a very worthwhile ballast reduction imho (about 7lbs off my current weighting) so to me well worth looking at.

The key to good deals in used gear is knowledge and patience. Your very specific requirement might take some work and time to find at the right price (which I would put at about $200).

For example: Scubapro MK25 S600 Scuba Regulator DIN | eBay

BTW, I would not assume a service of used regulators to be a necessary expense and typical limited warranties on regulators which require periodic service to keep in force will cost you in the long run. My regs normally go 5+ years between service.

I never said that you can not get good deals on used stuff all I said was that look at what you can get used for (add whatever additional costs of service / parts) and make sure the value is there when compared to new. Seems like a reasonable thing to consider.

Much like the bpw vs anything else I should have just kept my mouth shut.

I will now bow my head in shame sorry for the interruption

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think used gear is under valued by new divers because they don't know what to look for. I hardly ever buy new anymore. (recently picked up a new Legend from Europe but that is truly for my wife). I have bought good regulators for as little as $15 to $20 (not normal). I would suggest to the OP to look around. If you see something then just post a question "is this a good buy" lots of people will be glad to help

7Sounds like the topic has been covered well. Two additional points. Your location probably makes a difference. I got 2 sets of Scubapro MK25, G250, Oceanic Consoles here in Colorado and they were in true "excellent" condition. Likely because most of us only vacation dive. \

Second, as a avid used buyer of everything, the old rule of thumb that MOST things used should be around 50% of new in average to good condition is a number to keep in mind. MUCH of what I see people want 75% - 80% of new. For me I will simply buy new in that case (and look for 5% - 10% sale/discount).

I got the two reg sets above for around $450 total +/- (I bought his BC too), and being in Colorado (not allot of dive shops) they happen to come out of my LDS anyway, so they were serviced at the same place since new. Be patient, know what is good, what you want, and what it's worth (and shoot for more or less than 50% retail.

Bob (the avid used shopper)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom