DM Pay Poll

Divemaster Pay

• I assist with OW/other courses and get paid at least minimum wage.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • I assist with OW/other courses and don't get paid at all (other than tips)

Votes: 35 77.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so even though i'm an instructor, I will assist other instructors with a class and not get a penny (except free dives, fills and discounted gear). I will also DM for our boats and in that case I get my share of tips.

I'm not a DM now but I did get paid for assisting with OW classes in pool and crewing on our boat. We pay our DMs a fair wage.

Divemaster Pool - $15-$20/hour (I think it's $20 if you are teaching refreshers but don't remember.)
Boat deckhand/divemaster - Day rate of $100. Captain and deckhand/mate pool any tip money.

EDIT: Granted this may seem like a lot but it's not a full time job at all. We run open water classes twice a month and we usually only have a DM in the pool one day unless we have refresher students or larger grouper. DMs would make $100 for 5 hours (2pm-7pm) in pool, then of course taxes are taken out, etc.

When deckhanding on the boat, DM/deckhands generally do not dive so it's not exactly "free diving." They are there to help people into their gear, help people back into boat, pull up scallop bags, watch diver flags. Scalloping is pretty messy. They need to wash down boat completely, scrap guts off deck, empty trash, clean head and put everything back into place. Only DMs/deckhands get to dive is if they are an instructor teaching a class (then of course they have two jobs, deckhanding and boat instructor), someone requests a DM if they have no local diving experience or we have a good group of divers that needs minimal assistance, we can usually do a quick 30-35 minute dive before everyone else gets back on boat.

Last edited:
I'm not a DM now but I did get paid for assisting with OW classes in pool and crewing on our boat. We pay our DMs a fair wage.

Divemaster Pool - $20/hour.
Boat deckhand/divemaster - Day rate of $100. Captain and deckhand/mate pool any tip money.

And I thought we had it good.

What about technical-DMs. Do they get more perks / pay?

What about technical-DMs. Do they get more perks / pay?

There is really absolutely no need for this rating. I've never seen a "technical divemaster" utilized on any charter that I have been on. There are technical divers that hold divemaster ratings. Perhaps other places around the world use them but I doubt it. If someone told me they were a "technical divemaster" I would probably smirk a little bit inside.

In New England, the boat crew will give you as little or as much help as you typically ask for. Usually this might be helping you clip off additional stage bottles (charging bottles on/off), un-clipping bottles as you walk up diver ladder, helping sidemount people, hose routing help, etc.

Most technical divers like to be self-sufficient which means not touching any valves unless you're asked to. The boat crew may perform a tie-in or hook the wreck if there is no mooring or drop a shot line. They will typically ask you your planned runtime on the dive.

There is really absolutely no need for this rating. I've never seen a "technical divemaster" utilized on any charter that I have been on. There are technical divers that hold divemaster ratings. Perhaps other places around the world use them but I doubt it. If someone told me they were a "technical divemaster" I would probably smirk a little bit inside.

I think it varies from agency to agency. I am presently doing a Divemaster course with SDI/TDI and the SDI Divemaster Manual makes this distinction very clear:

"Technical Divemaster: Technical Divemaster is the initial leadership level in the TDI curriculum; prerequisites include certification as both an SDI Divemaster and a TDI technical diver." (SDI-Divemaster Student Manual page 24)."

In Finland a great deal of dive training (CMAS) is through clubs. My club pays for the pro classes (assistant instructor & instructor) and we donate our time to take the classes and teach/assist with classes. We are also covered on the club's insurance while training students, so we don't have that expense either. The club will pay for petrol costs and meals, also accomodation costs if we stay overnight somewhere during a class (OW dives are often done from a cabin over a long weekend). So this gives you a no pay answer, but with exceptionally low training costs too and an excellent reason for "working" for free. I suspect most clubs here handle things much the same way and other countries with clubs as a major organizing force may be similar.

You do things to support the club and teaching is a much more pleasant way to raise money than selling greeting cards or holding bake sales!

With IANTD it is known as tech nitrox divemaster, and if you are leading dives beyond recreational limits you are indeed a "tech divemaster". If you are leading dives inside a shipwreck you should be a wreck penetration supervisor. This comes with a lot more equipment requirements, training, responsibility, and risk, and should be compensated accordingly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom