The wait is over: Suunto Eon Steel is here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When my Eon steel was new a full charge would show 34 hours. After the firmware update in June it now only shows 24 hour with a full charge and the screen setting on bright. A number of people at MySuunto website have the same issue, are any of you experiencing this?
Another thing is it seems to be doing is using power somehow when stored. I had fully charged it a week ago to 24 hours and it is now down to 22 hours. Other than these two issues I've been very happy with it. Hopefully this info helps with any kind of firmware tweak.
Cheers, Dennis

So as I mentioned in a previous post I always had the update since I bought the EON 2 days before the update came out but, apparently before the update the EON only gave one "hours remaining" regardless of the brightness setting that was based on average power consumption of the EON (AKA medium brightness). After the update the "hours remaining" change with the brightness to give a more accurate estimate. So that is normal.

As for power loss, even a Li-ion battery looses charge over time in an idle state though at about a 30th of the rate of a NiCd. Plus there has to be some usage to maintain the settings or else you would loose everything every time it went to sleep. Is it using more than it should? I don't know. If you let is sit for a couple weeks then record the loss I'll tell you how it compares to mine. Keep in mind that it will almost certainly not loose the hours at a steady rate in idle state.

So as I mentioned in a previous post I always had the update since I bought the EON 2 days before the update came out but, apparently before the update the EON only gave one "hours remaining" regardless of the brightness setting that was based on average power consumption of the EON (AKA medium brightness). After the update the "hours remaining" change with the brightness to give a more accurate estimate. So that is normal.

Actually if I may disagree. I brought 2 Eon's for my wife and I. They are both set up exactly the same and have similar dive counts. After the June firmware update my charge would never get past 26hrs, and hers gets to 34hrs

Also on a recent trip, both comps plugged into the same charger one cable seems to have "failed" When you plug it into the computer, you get a charge display for say 15secs then it stops, it also won't allow the computer to connect via USB. The other cable is fine. Again both cables carried together and stored in the same way

Diving Dubai,

Your wife's EON's screen brightness should be set to "Default" and yours is set to "High". Double check it. You should be able to set yours to "Default" and see 34hrs as well or even 47hrs on "Low".

Let us know if that isn't the case.

Hi, the battery lifetime as such should't have changed after the update. What was changed is the way of estimating it though. The display brightness has the biggest impact and should roughly(!) result into the following:
low - about 50h
default - about 30h
high - about 20h

We're working on a lower consumption when the device is idle...

br, Hendrik

Last edited:
Hi All & Hendrick@Suuntoo:
Great Thread. Way to long just to find out about a device, but great thread.
Well, so I am a complete Beginner and have no real business wanting the Eon Steel as my first dive computer... But I sure want a computer with bigger numbers and one where I do not feel I need to replace it in too few years and one that lasts thru 5 dives and then some and one that I can actually see the numbers on rather than looking at some sort of a mirror - and all the rest is bonus to me at this point and half of it I have yet to work on to truly understand - but I will eventually. All that said, I just wanted to say this :
Hendrick, you & Suunto chiming in here left an impression! If I end up going that route, I may have to blame you when I explain to my wife what exactly I spent all this money on... I guess you could consider that a job hazard...

---------- Post added October 27th, 2015 at 10:38 PM ----------

Wait: No Apnoe mode - except maybe Gauge mode (bottom timer) but according to the manual just using that mode locks any decompression calculation is locked for 48h --- even w/o any violations? --- What no using it for a day of scuba the day after just snorkeling around and dipping down for an afternoon or just 30 minutes? Really? I must be not understanding something - please somebody straighten me out. What would one set this computer to for occasional non scuba diving (I am not good enough to qualify for "apnoe", I just call it snorkling) (to look at the graphs of the excursion or to just not leave it laying in the car...)?

From manual:
NOTE: After diving in gauge mode, decompression calculation is
locked for 48 hours. If during this time you dive with Air/Nitrox,
Trimix or CCR mode, there is no decompression calculation available
and ERROR is shown in decompression information fields.

DM5 no longer recognising my Suunto EON is connected. Since June,I have been using DM5, on a mac, to download my dive logs, and to configure my EON. It is no longer showsup in DM5 when I connect it. I have already tried on another Mac, a PC running windows 7 and another running windows 10 and it does not connect on any of these. However it charges the battery when connected to any of these aforementioned PCs and Macs. MacDive, which used to able to connect, can't connect either. The EON charges via USB Any solutions/ suggestions before I return it to Suunto in Australia.

Last edited:
hi

reset the device. in my case it worked.

I am also considering investing in a Petrel,

Now I need to check out this possible alternative,

Given the popularity of Suunto here in Hong Kong, it will be more of a status symbol for those with more cash than mental capability,

hello,

yesterday my eon steel shows me an strange error. I was charging the device. after a couple of hours I disconnected the device and i saw an error message. unfortunately I did not save that message. it was something like "error..... restart" then the device restarted. date time was somewhere in the past and surface time 0:01. but the last dive was hours before. the data of the logbook is correct, but I fear that the whole n2 and cns calculation are not correct anymore. since there is no planing
mode I can't check it. or do I missed something here? furthermore now the battarystatus went through the roof: now I have 55 hours on default brightness. I never had that before. the question is, is this a known issue? do I have a safety issue because the n2 data is maybe not correct anymore? can this happen underwater as well? I am on Bali right now and have only limited wifi connection and no laptop to use dm5 for instance.
any information is appreciated
best
frank
5ca4691b1430bfdd29ed6447ae69c0c6.jpg

Hi Hendrik

One more feature request for a future update.

Can you add the option to turn deep stops, for no deco dives, off. I know I can just ignore the deep stops, but its offputting when I beeps.

Turn the beeps off?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom