Suggestions on a compressor for home/business use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDocER

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Greetings all. I have a question. I am an Instructor and am looking to buy a scuba compressor for use at my house. I am building a pool and plan to do teaching from my house there. I also plan to fill tanks for friends and associates. I don't plan to do the volume of a full service scuba shop, but intend on filling several tanks a week. Would would you suggest in terms of a compressor including brand preferences and why?

Thank you.

Greetings all. I have a question. I am an Instructor and am looking to buy a scuba compressor for use at my house. I am building a pool and plan to do teaching from my house there. I also plan to fill tanks for friends and associates. I don't plan to do the volume of a full service scuba shop, but intend on filling several tanks a week. Would would you suggest in terms of a compressor including brand preferences and why?

Thank you.

Max-Air

I have a max air 35 with the Honda motor although it can come fitted with a electric motor. For several tanks per week this will do very well. If you are doing several every day you may need the 50 or even better yet the 90.

I bought a used 90 from our dive shop when it closed and it is a great machine. It will fill 2 AL 80 to 3000 psi in 8 mins and handles the HP steel tanks like a champ. The big thing is look at which ones are continuous duty rate and which are not. The 35 is not and is good for a bout 2.5 hours before it should be shut down and cooled.

Max air cartridges are expensive but easy to maintain

rix sa-6's work pretty well and being oil-less are a bit more forgiving. They can also be mounted in any orientation with an electric motor, but are nice and small for portable use. Takes about 12 minutes to fill an AL80 from empty empty.

At the moment there is a max air 90 on ebay for about $3000, I have 2 of these and a Bauer K-14, the max air is not a Bauer, but it will do the job for a very reasonable price..I have been thinking of buying it just to have it.

---------- Post added October 29th, 2015 at 04:05 AM ----------

There is another guy who pops up all the time selling Bauer Utilis compressors for about $1,200 to $1,500. All from demolished ships, most look great. Will do the job as well, just a little slower.

Let me recommend a call to the guys up at Blue Stone Quarry in Thomasville, NC. I don't think I've met anyone that knows as much about compressors as Bob Outlaw.

Home for the quarry and Home for the shop.

I have a Bauer 5 cfm capatono 5 HP single phase. all the filters Manuel drains no automatic stuff to cause problems. as pictured $4000. New hour meter, all 4 gauges new. 1000 psi oil pressure. I could deliver. PM me if interested.
Ron,

Attachments

• Bauer.jpg
    Bauer.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
I second the recommendation for the RIX oil-less compressors. Much less hassle and expense not to have to deal with oil and oil contaminants. The SA-6 is I believe continuous duty rated. It's also a bit more expensive new than comparable compressors, but seems to be available used around $3000.

Thank you.

In order to give you improved options, four questions.

1. What do you know about scuba compressors, your experience, maintenance, expectations etc
2. Are you considering buying new.
3. How much risk are you willing to take with the junk offered secondhand can you spot pitfalls
4. Would you know the difference between models, life expectancy of each and service parts cost are you going to service it yourself or contract the servicing out to contractors.

---------- Post added October 31st, 2015 at 06:54 PM ----------

I have a Bauer 5 cfm capatono 5 HP single phase. all the filters Manuel drains no automatic stuff to cause problems. as pictured $4000. New hour meter, all 4 gauges new. 1000 psi oil pressure. I could deliver. PM me if interested.
Ron,

By example.
I would be more interested in what the old hour meter was reading, that is before it was replaced it with a shiny "low hours" new one.
Looking at the build maybe it went round the dial a couple of times in the last 25 years
Incidentally that data plate in the photo would be interesting to see close up. It will have the original date of manufacture.
Without the original hour meter assume 500 hours a year use should give some idea how close it is to a complete rebuild, and a blow by estimate of remaining piston life.

Also the tall filter tower and that separator on the Bauer maintenance schedule need replacing around 15 years
Again the original date of manufacture is stamped on each of the towers the data plate.

I would be more interested in what the old hour meter was reading, that is before it was replaced it with a shiny "low hours" new one.
Looking at the build maybe it went round the dial a couple of times in the last 25 years
Incidentally that data plate in the photo would be interesting to see close up. It will have the original date of manufacture.
Without the original hour meter assume 500 hours a year use should give some idea how close it is to a complete rebuild, and a blow by estimate of remaining piston life.

Also the tall filter tower and that separator on the Bauer maintenance schedule need replacing around 15 years
Again the original date of manufacture is stamped on each of the towers the data plate.[/QUOTE]

The old meter read 255 hours the new one 2 hours at present sorry I missed it. I'm willing to demonstrate the compressor before sale. I have three other Bauer's one a K14 that has been pumping 200 to 300 bottles a year for 22 years. change oil and filters and a bauer will run for quite a while.
A Bauer is the best and most copied scuba compressor around. Most of the older Mako compressors are Bauer like this one. Priorety valve set at 2500, coosalator, synthetic oil and filter tower. As for repair lots of the commonly replaced parts are available on the internet new made in USA and reasonably priced. Check out Filtertecs on line. Plus Bauer will answer your questions about there products.
See that 1000 psi oil pressure? Thats what lubricates the final stage.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom