Cyklon 5000 vs. Jetstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Odin/Jetstream and I am very happy with it. The only thing I don't like about it is that it sometimes gets tangled in all my photo gear...minor inconveniece at worst.

Even so, I went ahead and bought a used Cyklon 5000 on ebay(the price with octo, adaptor and bag was just TOO good).

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each reg?

The Cyklon looks more compact and closer to the face than the Odin. I can't wait to use the Cyklon after it's checked out by a shop.

buff once bubbled...
I have a Odin/Jetstream and I am very happy with it. The only thing I don't like about it is that it sometimes gets tangled in all my photo gear...minor inconveniece at worst.

Even so, I went ahead and bought a used Cyklon 5000 on ebay(the price with octo, adaptor and bag was just TOO good).

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each reg?

The Cyklon looks more compact and closer to the face than the Odin. I can't wait to use the Cyklon after it's checked out by a shop.

Nahhh... You won't like 'em buff. But I'm pretty sure I can find some one to take 'em off your hands. :D

I like my Odins. I have't done the Cyklon 5000, but I have the 300, and it a work horse just like the Odin. Mot a WHOLE lot of differance from what I can see in the Service manual.

......never tried a Cyclon but do have 3 Odins, which I love! :)

I steered away from the Cyclon because of 'mixed' reviews on various scuba sites (like Divernet).

The Odin has a de-tune switch in the 2nd stage, which the Cyclon lacks, and I've heard the Cyclon is prone to free flowing......also, the Odin 2nd stage is longer than the Cyclon 2nd stage, which has the advantage of exhausting the bubbles well away from the face, which is especially helpful for photographers.......the Odin is the only reg (aside from a rebreather or a vintage twinhose reg) that makes me forget I'm even exhausting bubbles.

I own and use a couple of jetstreams and cyklon regs. They're both great and tuned right, they will give you air, lots of it! (some divers hate it :).

The Cyklon is more compact and no external user adjustments to fiddle with. If tuned to much, you'll have more freeflows. It's still manageable though. This is a downstream design.

The Jetstream is a bit longer which directs exhaust bubbles better than the Cyklon. It has a sensitivity switch, good in controlling freeflows. Its an upstream design, doesn't use the standard levers found on most second stages. Instead it uses another valve(pilot/servo valve) to control the opening of the larger valve that gives you the actual breathing air!

Anyway, for my opinion they're both great regs. I dont care if I get flamed for using it, as long I enjoy them in my dives.:)

Happy diving!

You should like your Cyklon, biggest difference is that it won't rattle your tonsils with voluminous air flow like the Jetstream can sometimes do.
Freeflow is easily adjusted out by rotating the little plastic barrel through the mouthpiece, you should be able to get your finger in there & give it a 1/4 turn in either direction.
The 1st stage on the Cyklon doesn't have the IP creep problem that the Jet's 1st sometimes has if the HP seat isn't gently pressurized after a rebuild.

I knew Bob3 would be there for me!

I did notice a significant increase in breathing resistance between the Cyklon and Jetstream-the latter being much easier to breathe from. Perhaps this was just since I was standing in my garage but I don't think there is a reg. out there that breathes easier than a Jetstream(perhaps too easy?)

I look forward to using the Cyklon for photography. My Jetsteam is constantly getting hooked up in my photo gear-Cyklon is shorter bodied and I thought that might help me take better photos(I really need all the help I can get).

At any rate I got a good deal on the Cyklon and I don't think I can wrong with it at the price I paid.

Thanks for the replies-
-Mike

In my limited experience the Cyklon is a very simple workhorse and super easy to work on. (Simple=reliable)
The Jetstream, (I own one), breathes great at depth and she's a good environmental reg as well. It is a little fiesty up shallow but down deep she's a lady. JMO
Norm

Well partners I hear frequent dialouge about Jetstreams breathing differently from shallow to deeper depths. I dive them and have to say I don't see that difference. Mine breath the same, consistantly excellant! I have frequent rebuilds, 12-18 months apart. I'm fortunate to have a guy who is a Master with them, and dosn't kill me with expensive repair costs. Take your Apex, and Scuba Pro's, I'll stay right here thank you very much !
Wreck/Tec

Well partners I hear frequent dialouge about Jetstreams breathing differently from shallow to deeper depths. I dive them and have to say I don't see that difference. Mine breath the same, consistantly excellant! I have frequent rebuilds, 12-18 months apart. I'm fortunate to have a guy who is a Master with them, and dosn't kill me with expensive repair costs. Take your Apex, and Scuba Pro's, I'll stay right here thank you very much !
Wreck/Tec
Dear Wreck/Tec, would you care to share your Master Poseidon Cyklon, Odin repair technician contact information such as complete mailing address, phone number and name ? Also, I have an Odin and a jetstream. I am looking at a 10-year old serviced Apeks TX50 as a backup in case I do not have my Poseidons serviced on time. What are your thoughts Apeks TX50 or XTX200 ? By the way how frequently do you dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom