Oslob for Whale Sharks from the shore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, you're going to pay for the privilege, so might as well enjoy the short ride in the outrigger canoe. I loved snorkeling with the big animals, though they are apparently all juvenile males. When time was up, I opted to swim back to shore rather than clamber back into the canoe. No problems with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I mostly just want to go on my own schedule. Get there at sunrise... and leave after all the fishies take off. Who would I be paying for this? Is there a booth or something at the beach?

It's a money making operation for the local fishermen, which is not a bad thing. They were convinced that it was better to to provide whale shark 'tours' instead of hunting them for their meat, skin and fins. I don't remember what the cost was for an hour in the water with the Sharks, but it was less than the cost of transportation to Oslob from Dumaguette.
Our tour was arranged by our resort, but I seem to recall there being tour booths among the other food and trinkets in the beach area. The Sharks show up when the fishermen start throwing dried shrimp into the water. It's pretty amazing to watch them feed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a shore dive----------..

8117441341_c5be6d4e1f_z.jpg
[/URL]Betsy whaleshark by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

more pics/videos here..........:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/albums/72157631839358126

I don't think you'll be able to snorkel on your own. As Aquavelvet said, you'll have to pay for the privilege of snorkeling with the whalesharks, but you'll have to ride one of the outriggers. When I was there last August, I opted for the shore dive option for P2000 and totally worth it.

Who did you use for the shore dive?
I don't think you'll be able to snorkel on your own. As Aquavelvet said, you'll have to pay for the privilege of snorkeling with the whalesharks, but you'll have to ride one of the outriggers. When I was there last August, I opted for the shore dive option for P2000 and totally worth it.

There were indeed a few divers on Scuba that had entered from the shore while I was there. They appeared to be constrained to sitting in the bottom while the Sharks were present, however. Those of us that were snorkeling were able to swim closer to the big animals. Of course we were cautioned not to get too close for safety reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who did you use for the shore dive?
I just hired the DM that was there, sorry forgot his name. If you want to use your own gear, you can do that as well and you only have to pay P500.

Back
Top Bottom