How did you deal with snorkel warble in current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C'mon, THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT SNORKEL "BUZZ"...............................it's about snorkel warble.

You're behind. Its evolved to "anti warbelation" (Although, Curacoj, I do believe there is a dash in there).

Reactions: Doc

I found my snorkel warbling

If I caught my MY snorkel warbling, I'd nail it to a tree in the back yard. Right next to the console-boot bird house.

Last edited:
Because the snorkel relies on being clipped onto the mask and it's difficult to clip it in cold water with heavy gloves if the snorkels not clipped they just flop over rendering them useless and when your in rough water and low on air it's dangerous

I dive in cold water wearing heavy gloves regularly and would have no trouble locating and retrieving my folding snorkel from my drysuit pocket if I ever needed it. If you don't think you could open a pocket, reach in and grab a snorkel, I would hate to see you manage a bolt snap or double ender in gloves. The more salient point though is still, why do you need a snorkel (other than the archaic club rule). If you are at the surface and low on air just inflate your wing and relax if it is a boat dive or roll over on your back and start kicking if it is a shore dive...or better yet...don't let your self get critically low on air in the first place especially on a drift dive.

I may look into a folding snorkel as well as jamming it under my strap the snorkel I currently have is a corrugated j snorkel that when it's not in use it falls away from your mouth I like that feature I keep my strap loose enough where jamming it under the strap is an option I will try it on my next dive as all my dives from now till spring are gonna be shore dives I just dove lock 21 for like the 30th time and it never ceases to amaze me god I love all the different structures out here

Lock 21 has hella current, but I would not bother with a snorkel there - it is not at all far from shore, and with that current I would probably not bother diving there if the river was rough to boot - and I have not found it rough enough that I would want a snorkel very often.

---------- Post added November 7th, 2015 at 01:30 AM ----------

I find that when swimming on the surface I like to have my reg in my mouth. When all is calm i breath around it. When a wave comes through I clamp down and draw through the reg. Reduces the air consumption and makes my life more pleasant. I should note I have a secure and a couple missing teeth so my reg does not come out easily even if I am holding it loosely in the mouth.

^^^^^

This, minus the teeth comment :wink: when I am on my belly, but I spend most of my time on my back, still holding the reg the same way, loosely in my mouth.

---------- Post added November 7th, 2015 at 01:34 AM ----------

For those curious about the lock 21 site Lock 21 | Save Ontario Shipwrecks

If you think lock 21 has a swift current you should see the one below the dam when we drift from the dam to the college that's Hella fast I wouldn't even want to try and stop

---------- Post added November 7th, 2015 at 07:28 AM ----------

There's a lot of walking lately the river is down about five feet

Huh, the Connestoga must be almost breaking the surface ;-)Lock 21's on my list.

I found my snorkel warbling and tugging in the current so I cut a cpl inches off the top wow what a difference the only thing is you have to keep your self very buoyant but my question remains what is your solution to snorkel warble
Fwiw my snorkel is a requirement and leaving it onshore is not an option also putting it in my pocket I'd also not an option

I've got nothing for the snorkel, but here's something you can use:

??????????????????
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
;;

Give me a shout when you run out and need more.

I can't imagine that a dive club would actually require you to wear a snorkel. I've been in rough seas and once with some very significant surf. In both conditions I never once thought, "damn, I wish I had a snorkel." In fact, a snorkel on the side of my mask would probably have been more of a nuisance than help.I used to dive with a snorkel in my BC pocket. But I've lost more after forgetting them in the rental BC pocket than I actually used the snorkel. Actually, my daughter was was the one who left them behind. Come to think of it, I actually have never used the snorkel either.If your club insists on diving with a snorkel I'd put one in my pocket and leave it there. Or find a new dive club.

I can't imagine that a dive club would actually require you to wear a snorkel....... .

220px-Kingdinosaurposter.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom