1 month in philippines over christmas.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

langy187

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, new to scubaboard and new to diving.
I've booked a flight to the philippines from the UK on 8th dec for a month of diving ,i hope you can answer a few questions for me.
I wasn't going to book any diving or accommodation, but have heard that it could get very busy at that time of year? im backpacking so plan for low budget accom, quality of the room doesnt bother me at all. Can i just pick up a cheap guesthouse while moving around ?
I would like to do PADI rescue while im there but ive only logged 30 dives since dec 2014, maybe not experienced enough for a rescue course? should i just spend the course costs on getting more experience/dives under my belt?
Any help/info/advice for a new travel hungry diver would be appreciated........ thanks in advance.:)

Can i just pick up a cheap guesthouse while moving around ?
I am pretty sure you can but probably not that easy over Christmas and New Year.

Moalboal, Dumaguete, Apo Island, Squijor Island are within reach from each other under few hrs by public transport. By careful planning you can avoid un-necessary back tracking. Malapascua is a bit off the track but highly recommended and so is Southern Leyte.
I highly suspect in some popular places advanced reservation is a MUST.

I have removed Alona Beach from my original suggestion because of the bad experience(bad gas) that we encountered. Should have remembered it. SORRY.

Last edited:
thanks centrals, i plan to fly from MNL to TAG and spend the first week or so around the alona beach area , no plans from then onwards but would like to get to coron for some wreck diving , but seems id have to fly back to manila first. maybe i could book somewhere in coron while in alona , thanks again.

Cheap accommodation in Coron is in the town centre which is quite a distance from the wrecks.
The wrecks in Coron are GREAT and some of them are relatively deep >30m. If you like wreck then you should try to stay as long as possible.
Check out Harold's Mansion in Dumaguete for budget room.

Hi There Langy187,

If you are looking for a nice spot to go diving you should really check out Malapascua Island off the north coast of Cebu.

It is world famous for Thresher Shark Diving on a daily basis, It's an early start like 5am in the morning but well worth it.

I would recommend that you check out threshercove.com as they offer great value for backpackers who are diving, such as discounted doom and room rates and also a backpackers menu to help you save even more. They have a fantastic 18m pool and private beach.
If you are interested in doing your PADI rescue course I can send you some information including prices and course scheduling.

My email address is jpgnash@gmail.com

Best wishes

Last edited:
i plan to fly from MNL to TAG and spend the first week or so around the alona beach area ,
If you are going to use any operator on Alona Beach, please make sure the operator has its own compressor!!!
Compressed air is ODOURLESS!!! If in doubt, smell the gas FIRST.
Of all the places that I suggested, Alona Beach is my least favourite because of the quality of the gas(my personal epxerience). Actually I am going to remove that place from my suggested list.

30 days of traveling around is good! it gives you a lot of flexibility. if you are not into wrecks that much i'd start by crossing coron off the list. on the other hand, if you ARE, put coron either at the beginning or end of your list. as mentioned, some of the wrecks are quite deep and nitrox certification is a must. if you are not already, get certified before you leave home. while you are there consider taking the time to visit el nido. not so much as a dive destination, but for the beauty of the area.

assuming wrecks are not at the top of your must-do list, leaving manila as soon as humanly possible, start out in the visayas. south leyte, malapascua, moalboal, dumaguete and alona are all within easy reach of cebu city. a possible itinerary would be cebu to tagbilaran, bohol (for alona) by ferry. stay at trudi's (or some other similar budget accommodation). tagbilaran to dumaguete by ferry. harold's mansion is frequently recommended. overland by public transport (including a short ferry crossing) to moalboal. stay at eve's kiosk and dive with nelson, next door. a long day by public transport will get you to malapascua, on the complete far side of cebu island from you. there are a number of budget choices on malapascua. consider an overnight or 2 in cebu city - a gem to some (including me) but a sh** hole to others - to break that journey up. there are dozens of budget opportunities in the fuente osmena area, from where all of your local transportation needs can be accomplished on foot or by jeepney. from malapascua return to cebu, overnight on mactan island, and fly to manila early in the am, so as to be able to get to the batangas ferry terminal in time to reach puerto galera on the same day via bus from pasay. the last ferry departs around 4 pm. so you want to be on one of the countless buses out of pasay by no later than 12 (and better 11 to be on the safe side). get your rescue certification in puerto galera. the instruction from rick at frontier scuba is quality, but there are others to chose from of course. and there are many comfortable budget rooms available in the area as well. or instead of finishing in, start in puerto galera, and then work your way clockwise or counterclockwise around the visayas. you get the idea.

a couple words about south leyte: the sogod bay area can be visited by an out and back ferry trip from cebu city. the ferry takes +/- 5 to 6 hours. it is a great, slow living area with some terrific diving, maybe some of the top diving in the philippines. peter's offers cheap rooms, as well as 400 peso dorm space. it is left off many itineraries because it does require a little more time/effort to get to. which is a shame. most people who visit the area rave about it. it is also possible to start your trip by going to south leyte from cebu, then taking the ferry to bohol from leyte, and overland south to alona. this is a long day in ferries and on buses, but it is easy to do and with 30 days, something i'd strongly consider. if running out of time, any one of these destinations can be sliced off your plan, with little serious effect on overall logistics.

a strong word of caution - half of philippines seems to be travelling somewhat before and after christmas. it is wise to plan ahead for this time especially. flights in and out of manila especially become a victim of a general and stunning incompetency on the part of cebu pacific in particular. be on the ground, preferably where you plan to be, in a room reserved well beforehand.

Last edited:
Wow.... What a great reply !! I may use this as my travel template , very informative thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom