Scuba Philippines | MacromateMini, Cyan Filter, Archon Lights, Flip3.1 on SRP Tray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you :)

Truth is that I took A LOT of video during my four dives. The 3+ minutes shown is the result of hours of footage. Fun to take the video.... hard work to sort out the good from the bad.

---------- Post added October 8th, 2015 at 08:37 AM ----------

Distance with the macro is about 10 to 15 centimeters ... very very close. If too close or too far the footage will be blurry.

I used the polar pro before but would advise to invest in a better red filter as the PP has a very large violet tone to it in my experience.

I have it set to auto off after 5 min I think and just switch back on again. I try to force myself to also enjoy the dive in general and not just film.

Good luck with your video and share once done :)
Thanks.

Are you using the SNP filter on the Flip 3.1 by using a backscatter 55mm adapter? I have the flip system with the 3 square filters that came with it was well as a mini macro filter. How much better is the SRP filter than the ones that come with the flip system?

Hi there,

Sharing a video filmed with a MacroMate mini lens and Archon Lights on SRP tray.

Happy about the quality using the macro lens together with the lights. Though it is a pain to switch between the various Gopro settings on the fly between macro and non-macro shooting.

Pictures taken in high resolution using the macro lens also came out surprisingly well.

Overall, I am happy with the lights and found myself not using the Cyan filter as much anymore. I will not go diving without lights anymore.

The Flip 3.1 system is working really well and makes it easy to switch between the Cyan and macro lenses.

[video=youtube_share;gu0X28JsGNk]http://youtu.be/gu0X28JsGNk[/video]

Equipment used:
• GoPro Hero 4
• Snake River Prototyping Cyan Filter 55mm
• Backscatter MacroMate Mini 55mm
• Backscatter FLIP3.1
• Archon D11V Lights
• Mounted on a Snake River Prototyping Tray

Dive Resort: www.buceoanilao.com (EXCELLENT EXCELLENT!!!)

Thanks for any feedback.

Are you using the SNP filter on the Flip 3.1 by using a backscatter 55mm adapter? I have the flip system with the 3 square filters that came with it was well as a mini macro filter. How much better is the SRP filter than the ones that come with the flip system?

Yes, I am using the SRP filter on the 55mm adaptor on the Flip 3.1

I have not used any of the Backscatter filters, so can not compare.

However, I have used a PolarPro filter before and I am very happy I switched to the SRP filter. There is no comparison between SRP and PolarPro.

The SRP is providing excellent results.

This is an excellent example of what a GoPro can reproduce in the right hands.

Sir, VERY NICE camera work. I've shot with the Macromate and it's an incredibly narrow depth of field, maybe 3.5-5" range max.

A steady hand is key.

Once again, excellent lighting work, quick fast editing work, and critter composition.

cheers!

Any reason only shooting in 1080 not 2.7k which gives 60fps also?

U used 2 archon lights?

This is good enough for the manufacturers for promotion!

I have the same setup but not even close result.

---------- Post added November 10th, 2015 at 02:03 PM ----------

I have compared the two. SRP glass filter wins hands down in terms of quality over backscatter. I think even the 55mm backscatter filters are acrylic only.

But red filters are still very sensitive to lights. Below 10M the filter begins to have a hard time esp w o adequate light.

Another thing we can see from this footage is how good gopro 4 is at night videos w lights. It even looks good in my shaky hands.

---------- Post added November 11th, 2015 at 04:07 PM ----------

To the OP. Did u have trouble with.SRP CY filter without light where Gopro4 has trouble w white balance then image came out greenish yellow? We had a bit of problem last trip at Indo on cloudy days or deeper dives in the 20 M zone.

Yes, I am using the SRP filter on the 55mm adaptor on the Flip 3.1

I have not used any of the Backscatter filters, so can not compare.

However, I have used a PolarPro filter before and I am very happy I switched to the SRP filter. There is no comparison between SRP and PolarPro.

The SRP is providing excellent results.

wonderful video.
are u keep changing the SRP filter and marcomate mini underwater? SRP filter cannot set on the top of FLIP mount, right?

i will have a liveaboard trip heading to Similan on March, still thinking to buy INON close up lens G165 or marcomate Mini. after i watch your movie, marcomate mini lookes good. unfortuately i don't know INON close up lens fit on SRP filter adapter or not. the size should be the same.

anyway, good job.

WOW, what an amazing video! Great job. Love the colors and quality. I've got the Polar Pro red filter and macro lens, but am not having much luck with the macro lens. I'm either way too close or too far. Although it's probably user error. I might look into switching to the Flip system.

Do you play around with the colors at all while editing? Out of curiosity, what video editing software do you use?

Thanks for sharing!

This is an excellent example of what a GoPro can reproduce in the right hands.

Sir, VERY NICE camera work. I've shot with the Macromate and it's an incredibly narrow depth of field, maybe 3.5-5" range max.

A steady hand is key.

Once again, excellent lighting work, quick fast editing work, and critter composition.

cheers!

Thank you very much :)

It was fun filming and getting really close to the creatures.

wonderful video.
are u keep changing the SRP filter and marcomate mini underwater? SRP filter cannot set on the top of FLIP mount, right?

i will have a liveaboard trip heading to Similan on March, still thinking to buy INON close up lens G165 or marcomate Mini. after i watch your movie, marcomate mini lookes good. unfortuately i don't know INON close up lens fit on SRP filter adapter or not. the size should be the same.

anyway, good job.

Yes, I am flipping between the both filters. The SRP on top and the Macromate on the side because its the heavier of the two lenses. This works really really well on the Flip3.1

I really like the Macromate. But you need to get the distant to the object just right and have to have a very steady hand... or you get sea sick watching the movie later on.

I am not familiar with the INON lens.

WOW, what an amazing video! Great job. Love the colors and quality. I've got the Polar Pro red filter and macro lens, but am not having much luck with the macro lens. I'm either way too close or too far. Although it's probably user error. I might look into switching to the Flip system.

Do you play around with the colors at all while editing? Out of curiosity, what video editing software do you use?

Thanks for sharing!

I used the Polar Pro red filter before and actually gave it to another diver. The SRP filter makes a day and night difference compared to the Polar Pro.

Yes, the Macro lens is tricky but once you get the right distance sorted out the footage is just cool.

Again, I highly recommend the Flip system.

Yes, I do adjust the colors very slightly in GoPro Studio. I am not big into editing other than stitching the movies together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom