Cramps, causes and prevention

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd blame it on the statins.....Outdated and corrupt research studies led to the use of statins for Blood pressure....Even if you don't like Mercola, his bibliographies on all the research showing why you don't need statins, should give you an entirely different outlook.

Study Reveals Statins Not Very Effective or Safe
[h=1]How much longer will you live if you take a statin?[/h]...
Kristensen ML, et al. BMJ Open 2015;5:e007118. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2014-007118

Results: 6 studies for primary prevention and 5 for secondary prevention with a follow-up between 2.0 and 6.1 years were identified. Death was postponed between −5 and 19 days in primary prevention trials and between −10 and 27 days in secondary prevention trials. The median postponement of death for primary and secondary prevention trials were 3.2 and 4.1 days, respectively.

How much longer will you live if you take a statin?

Kristensen ML, et al. BMJ Open 2015;5:e007118. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2014-007118

Results: 6 studies for primary prevention and 5 for secondary prevention with a follow-up between 2.0 and 6.1 years were identified. Death was postponed between −5 and 19 days in primary prevention trials and between −10 and 27 days in secondary prevention trials. The median postponement of death for primary and secondary prevention trials were 3.2 and 4.1 days, respectively.
Great article.....and another implication here, is that not only has the statin drug Not helped with life expectancy , Statins cause very bad and unhealthy Side Effects, which can seriously injure other aspects of your health....

Statins make the drug industry lots of money....The drug industry exerts major control over laws regarding medical treatments. Your doctor may not even be allowed to suggest what he thinks is your best course of action, without setting his practice up for major legal problems.

Medicine (Physicians, non-profits, government organizations, insurers) said they wanted a drug that did pretty much exactly what statins do. So that's what the drug industry got funded to work on and in fact produced. The fact that it doesn't extend your life much isn't really so much the drug companies fault as is a failure of imagination on the part of Medicine. Everyone dies of something, and maybe the variable Medicine decided is important isn't really important - it's a marker for something else. The history of the AHA's and US Government's anti-fat crusade (and the explosive increase in Obesity that resulted) is the most obvious example of the drawback of making policy without sufficient research (or using cherry picked "research").

First, I don't wear 'booties'. I wear an actual boot.

811Y3A5BosL._UX695_.jpg

OTBs (Over The Beach) were designed for Navy Seals to go from diving into combat on land. IOW, to take them "Over The Beach". I got them after I had ankle surgery and have never looked back. Lot's of ankle support as I climb ladders and they're designed for hiking over rugged terrain. Also, they drain completely and immediately. Rather than soaking my feet in water between dives, my feet are almost dry by the time I splash. They aren't that expensive and I've never had anyone who went to them want to go back. They were bought out by New Balance and they are still my boot of choice.

Secondly, the foot pocket of the Hollis fin fits the OTB like they were made for each other. I don't have a single 'pinch point' which is what gave me foot pain and cramps back when I wore booties and Jets. The soft and supple pocket combined with the padding of a high end boot and my feet are well protected with absolutely no slop.

Finally, how much force do you need to keep your fins on? Probably the biggest force will occur during the giant stride (which I never, ever do). In the water, the fins push the diver. With the proper technique and fit, you almost don't need a strap: just a gentle tug so the fins don't dislodge. After my ankle surgery, I found the lightest tension possible in an SS spring. I put this on my jets until I discovered the Hollis F1 (BatFin). That's probably when I stopped doing the giant stride and opted for simply sitting down into the ocean (modified back roll). I found that all my foot aches disappeared overnight with the light, light spring. almost moved them to the Hollis, but the freakishly comfy foot pocket means I could leave them original.

I like the look of those boots - might have to try to find them over here (or pay for shipping)

What might be causing my cramps, and what is the best way to prevent them?

Sometimes I feel I tend to get less cramps if the night before my dive I hydrate well with Gatorade or another drink that has electrolytes. It also helps me tremendously when I switched to split fins.

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear Dive Mounts

Sometimes I feel I tend to get less cramps if the night before my dive I hydrate well with Gatorade or another drink that has electrolytes. It also helps me tremendously when I switched to split fins.

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear Dive Mounts
Yikes!
Frank, you have some nice Z Gear products, but I don't think you looked in to sports drink nutrition like you did into your gear!
While the original Gatorade from back in the 1960's was based on what athletes lose in their sweat--and was significantly better than water for athletes like Football teams...., it tasted pretty bad by today''s standards...today, Gatorade tastes awesome, and instead of being created to HELP athletes, it is manufactured by Pepsico, and has been among the most harmful, anti-nutritional things a person can put in their body for the last 20 years or so...at one point, using high fructose corn syrup as it's largest ingredient!!!
Even today, as they dropped the bad fructose, replaced it with bad sugar....they have a horrible mix of electrolytes....and there should be twice the potassium as there is sodium--of course they have this backwards....

Almost anything is better for you than gatorade!

V8 juice, especially low sodium V8 is still the potassium winner.

Yikes!
Frank, you have some nice Z Gear products, but I don't think you looked in to sports drink nutrition like you did into your gear!
While the original Gatorade from back in the 1960's was based on what athletes lose in their sweat--and was significantly better than water for athletes like Football teams...., it tasted pretty bad by today''s standards...today, Gatorade tastes awesome, and instead of being created to HELP athletes, it is manufactured by Pepsico, and has been among the most harmful, anti-nutritional things a person can put in their body for the last 20 years or so...at one point, using high fructose corn syrup as it's largest ingredient!!!
Even today, as they dropped the bad fructose, replaced it with bad sugar....they have a horrible mix of electrolytes....and there should be twice the potassium as there is sodium--of course they have this backwards....

Almost anything is better for you than gatorade!

Wow I did not realize this, thanks for pointing that out. My wife drinks coconut water( the real stuff) and she swears by it. I might have to make a switch to healthier choice. By the way all this is terribly funny, as I am macking down on a big bag of Lays potato chips while typing my response.:D

Frank G

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom