Insurance for AOW course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am in the UK (so 17 days to US is expensive for single-trip travel insurance but is already covered with our annual multi-trip).

Do you know which insurance company that is?

I'm finding this all a bit confusing as not sure if having 2 policies simultaneously is allowed, and DAN seems to be duplicating what we already have with the exception of the 18m limit (happy to pay for this but want to make sure I'm not somehow invalidating both policies by having more than 1).

No, having multiple insurance policies does not cause one to invalidate the other. You can have as many as you want to pay for...

I am in the UK (so 17 days to US is expensive for single-trip travel insurance but is already covered with our annual multi-trip).

Do you know which insurance company that is?

I'm finding this all a bit confusing as not sure if having 2 policies simultaneously is allowed, and DAN seems to be duplicating what we already have with the exception of the 18m limit (happy to pay for this but want to make sure I'm not somehow invalidating both policies by having more than 1).

Divemaster Scuba Diving Insurance UK | Dive Master Insurance | PADI

It's what I use when I travel abroad. You can buy it online. I want to say I paid about £35 for 24 days cover.

Thanks everyone, really helpful.

No, having multiple insurance policies does not cause one to invalidate the other. You can have as many as you want to pay for...

I'm not familiar with travel insurance but I have seen "Other Insurance" clause under some policies where such clause could potentially start a finger pointing game among the policies taken out for the same risk.

Guess what I'm saying here is to read the fine print. My two cents :geek:

I'm not familiar with travel insurance but I have seen "Other Insurance" clause under some policies where such clause could potentially start a finger pointing game among the policies taken out for the same risk.

Guess what I'm saying here is to read the fine print. My two cents :geek:

This is common with health insurance, but all they're doing is figuring out how to split the total cost between the two companies. They are both still valid, but you can't collect double (the full amount from both companies for the same incident). With health insurance, having multiple policies typically reduces the premiums for each of them, because they are splitting the risk. The exception of course is life insurance; your beneficiaries will collect the full benefit from every policy you have.

very true...

Also look at the dive policy for depth limitations. many will say diving with in you training or to some effect. Generally this means OW is 60 ft AOW is 100 ect. Other policies will charge more for deeper diving. <60 is no extra charge greater than 60 is stepped increases. Things like cave or greater than 130 ft the diver is not insurable. Read close. These are 2 different things. Many instructors will try to sell you life insurance prior to class start. That way you get the low rates of not diving past 60 ft for the past 12 months. once you get covered yo can do what you want up to the limit of diving with in your current training level. This means if you are about to take a tech 200 ft class and yo have a OW only. then you buy the insurance with the OW <60 ft history for premiums setting. Once covered you take the 200 ft class and you are still covered for diving to 200 ft, (diving with in your training) but you may never be able to buy more insurance because of your newly aquired deep diving history. This is the problem of divers with only a OW card diving deeper than 60 ft. void insurance for diving beyond ones documented (card) training. I don't know how this affects health insurance. In the insurance world there are distinctions between accident and self inflicted injuries. Diving beyond training is self inflicted. I have heard that Dan is that way also. so an aow dying from a 150 ft dive is not covered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom