Been to Roatan so where next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We look for places with low bug population so we have taken both Roatan and Utila off our lists. We have been to Utila maybe 15 trips and Roatan 5 or so, but won't be headed back. We always look for the total experience when comparing destinations. As KathyV suggests the Caymans are great. We are more than willing to spend a couple of extra bucks for excellent food and no biting bugs along with excellent dives. That puts Caymans on the top of the list. We have found that it is actually less expensive by about $2000 for us to go to Little Cayman Beach Resort than a trip to Utila, so it's an easy decision for us...

I am glad to hear that we are not the only ones that really appreciate the value of a good mosquito-abatement program in the tropics! We have been to Roatan three times and Belize twice but don't plan to return - even though they were great trips.

I have always been very sensitive to mosquito bites in general and we also took the precaution of taking anti-malarial medication for our trips to Honduras and Belize. Now with the increased prevalence of mosquito-borne Dengue Fever and Chikungunya - with no treatment options - I am even less enthusiastic about returning to the Mosquito Coast.

The Caymans are expensive, but there are ways to control the costs and make the price comparable to many other dive destinations. Plus you can eat the food and drink the water without concern and they have good mosquito-abatement. The islands are clean and safe and the locals are friendly. And the diving is great!

Food and water are safe to eat and drink on Bonaire and Curacao too; and those islands have also invested in mosquito-abatement programs and they also offer good diving - mostly easy shore diving - and the water is usually very warm during the winter and spring. The petty theft is an issue on those islands - but no place is perfect!

Last edited:
Brac or Little Cayman......

Just back from Roatan and looking for suggestions for our next trip next February, March or April. We LOVED Roatan. Warm water, short boat rides and beauty under every wave. So, we are looking for direction on where we should go next. Not huge on the party scene, but don't want to be bored in the evenings either. Looking for 2 boat dives and possibly some shore diving for a third dive of the day. AI would be nice but not a must. Looking to spend between 4-5K for the trip including airfare from West Coast.

Hit me with some goodies please:D

+1 for Curacao. No need for the boat, shore dives are from nice beaches (beautiful white sand or gravel ) with no waves. Very nice variety of dives (although longer drives between sites than Bonaire). Lots to see and do in Willemstadt

I would suggest Utila. I have not done Roatan and plan on going there next month but I have been to Bonaire and I prefer Utila over Bonaire for overall diving. Some sites in Bonaire are nice but overall I loved Utila for all its remoteness.

Good luck!

Bonaire or Saba. Both great. Will have warmer water during the time you plan to go. Good luck!

I stayed at Barefoot Cay in roatan. No bugs. They have a built in sprinkler system that sprays the entire grounds. The staff also rakes the sand during the day to expose any eggs to the sun. Great food, boats, staff, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom