To buy Shearwater Petrel 2 outside US.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roman_66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Regular price in US - 749$.
I found one dive-shop in Spain sells for 680$ without Tax if you buy two units.
I have friend, who would like to join, so buy two units is not big issue.
I drop mail to Shearwater about warranty, they promised that computer can be serviced/repaired in US, even I bought it not in US.
Any underwater rocks to buy outside US ?
P.S. Of cause first I will see what going on black Friday.

Make sure they actually have it. The might string you along. See what shipping cost is going to be. See what import duty is going to be. If you end up paying 50 bucks for shipping and 50 bucks in import tax you've spent a dime to save a penny.

If they don't declare it's value and you're trying to skirt import duty on it you may get royally screwed in the deal. Not worth the hassle in my mind.

Shipping is few $, it is ok.
I didn't think about import tax. Is it automatically apply when you order outside US?
Just when I ordered something from other state I never pay tax.

I can't see it being worth the hassle to save a few bucks. Unless you have a local dealer who has them in the shop, go with one of the reputable online guys, like Dive Gear Express.

Last edited:
'If" you're referring to DiveInn/Scubastore.com I'd be very careful. I no longer use them after repeated numerous errors and very poor customer service, good luck if you have an issue or need to return the item. I'd spend the extra and buy from a reputable store like DGX.

Yes, I found cheap price on DiveInn :) Now it shows as $674 in case you buy two units.
Regarding
poor customer service, this is why I asked Shearwater directly if I can service it in US and answer was "The warranty follows the computer, no problem having it serviced in the U.S."
I hope "serviced" included repairing under warranty agreement also.
As I mentioned, first I will wait for black Friday sell, probably Dive Gear Express will participate :)
Now I am more worry about import tax, which can be added by custom as JohnnyC mentioned.

The two units I assume are going to be shipped together from the EU to the USA. Which means it will pass through US customs. Depending on how the store describes the computers you may be paying duty on $1300 of merchandise. Also, depending on shipper you could also end up paying a brokerage fee (never ship using UPS to Canada).

When it comes to having merchandise shipped from overseas, a smart person will do their homework as all of the Harmonized Tariff Schedules are on line.

You find the category that the items fit in. They may fall in multiple categories. When that happens pick the one that is most favorable. Calling the Customs office can also be helpful. Once you get the category you then notify the store and have them document this information while making sure the items description matches key words for the category. This information all goes on the invoice that Customs will be looking at to determine the duty owed. If they have that information, it makes their life easier, and if in their experience the category listed is "correct" then you are set. A few years back I bought about $4k of UW camera gear and did the above. Duty owed $0.

That said I bought my last Petrel from DGE as they made a suggestion regarding a Petrel 1 that turned out very well. So they deserved the purchase.

I say call Ed at Cave Adventurers in Florida. I would also say to not only look at web sites, but actually call a few shops. People have been known to get better deals when making a phone call.

Hello Roman,

Despite the claims made on their website, DiveInn is not an authorized Shearwater dealer in Spain or anywhere else in the world. We export to the USA under the terms of NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement). This means that our computers manufactured in Canada enter the US duty free. This is not true of other countries which apply duty (usually low) when the goods enter the country. Without the proper paperwork, our computers shipped into the US via a Spanish dealer may attract duty. You may well end up paying more than anticipated.

For a list of authorized dealers, please visit our website www.shearwater.com

Lynn Partridge

I just bought a Petrel 2 the other day from my local dive shop. I am sure I could have found it cheaper, lower prices in the US, although the dollar sucks now, but I find buying big ticket items like this is best from your local shop. Build the rapport with them, then if you have issues with something they will be more likely to help you out. Just my personal experience. Also I see Shearwater has responded to you and I would certainly go with their advice. Shearwater has outstanding customer service and are very helpful. Thumbs up to a Canadian company.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom