Is the Sony RX100M2 a good UW camera for the beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ibmerlin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just bought the 100M2 to replace a older sony pocket camera that I use for land shots on vacations. I have been using Gopros for pics underwater. I have been thinking about getting a nauticam housing for my new 100m2 along with a good strobe. Maybe the YS-D2. I already have a itouch pro6+ that i use for the gopro that i can use with it. This will be an expensive investment but we are doing the Maldives next year and want something that takes good pics. With all that said will the 100M2 be a good camera to learn on? I have seen in many posts that most functions have to be preformed in manual modes and that ppl have problems syncing the strobes. Any advice?
Thanks Merlin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's a great camera for anyone, IMO. You can shoot it on auto if you really want to make things very simple, aperture priority or shutter priority for a bit more control, or manual for full control (etc).

I used Inon strobes when I was diving with my Rx100 and never had any issues with them in TTL or manual.

I I shoot my DSLR now, but to be honest I'd probably keep the rx100 if I had to do it over just based on how much easier it is to travel with and still very good image quality.

Anyway, get a good wide angle wet lens for the Maldives! Lots of big stuff there - mantas, sharks, etc! We were there recently and I only shot macro a few times. It's amazing diving!

Any suggestions on wide wet lens? I was thinking i would need one too.

I used the Inon UWL-H100 with the Dome. I think Nauticam has a new one coming out, but not sure if it's good with the RX100...It has been a couple years. I expect there are other options aside from those that produce great results.

I used the Inon UWL-H100 with the Dome. I think Nauticam has a new one coming out, but not sure if it's good with the RX100...It has been a couple years. I expect there are other options aside from those that produce great results.
Yes, the Nauticam WWL-1 is already available. Better optical quality than the inon, but heavier and a bit more expensive. (inon w dome: ~800$, WWL-1: 1000$)

There are no problems with strobes and the RX100

However the Sony RX100 is not a good beginner camera the auto or S A mode are poor and you need to shoot in manual to make it work

Start with an older canon model as safer choice

There are no problems with strobes and the RX100

However the Sony RX100 is not a good beginner camera the auto or S A mode are poor and you need to shoot in manual to make it work

Start with an older canon model as safer choice
Thank you, I have already bought the RX100M2 for land use. So maybe it would be better if I just stuck with the gopro for water. I was just hoping to get better pictures in low light situations and the GP seems so limited.

No I disagree use your Mk2 then grow in to it. Well done

There is no question that the RX100 is million miles better than the the GoPro however you will need a wide angle lens which will cost you money and strobes plus you will need to shoot manual as the automatic and semi automatic modes are not that good. So in that respect the RX100 is not a good beginner camera as you need to be able to shoot in manual. Having said that the picture will easier look better than the GoPro even in auto except likely motion blur

Back
Top Bottom