A cave diving accident in Tulum yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

good call, mark

Glad to hear the dive was called. I hate reading about those who didnt make it back. Shows how much of a diver you were and the responsibility that needs to be adressed before any dive. Cheers and Beers, JD

talking to a friend about risk management I thought if this story. Thought it was worth a ping.

Wow -- I had not read this before, and it is a lovely cautionary tale.

I tried to do a cave dive once when my head was totally not in the game (had just finished about a half hour screaming battle with my dive buddy over getting lost on the way to the site). My buddy videoed my diving during the 15 minutes or so before I called it, and the video was horrendous. I looked like someone who had never been trained. I learned a HUGE lesson from that, and I was lucky enough that nothing bad happened during that very short time.

I called a dive on our last trip because I was having a minor but frustrating equipment issue (which was completely solvable) and I realized that same feeling of mounting adrenaline was happening.

There is always another day to dive, if you make it home from this one.

Reactions: Jax
Thanks Mark, that was a very wise decision and a good reminder for all of us. I think we're still waiting to hear over 8 years later about that incredible dive the following week, though. You could tell us how things went with that well-credentialed lady too, but that's ok, we can guess... :wink:

About time to give this a bump.
Do your risk management people.

---------- Post added November 26th, 2015 at 05:15 AM ----------

Good point about the following weeks trip report Ayisha.
I did post it. It was regarding the cenote de las calaveras. the well of the skulls.
117 human skulls according to National geographic Magazine. I was in the second or third group in after NG to rappel into it.
Some self appointed expert here on scubaboard decided to get the post and photos taken down because the site was so sensitive. Some how he managed to overlook that it had been published on the cover of National Geographic Magazine, the most widely distributed publication in the world and I had disclosed its location as 'somewhere on the Yucatan Peninsular" hardly x marks the spot.

Last edited:
I recently took this to heart. You have to know when your head is no longer in the right state of mind.
I planned a dive at Ginnie Springs with Scuba Sam. We prepped our gear and as we were starting to don drysuits the skies opened up on us. I was scrambling to get the suit on before getting drenched. We put on our gear headed to water. As I stepped in waist deep, I felt my suit flooding and raced out to find my zipper not closed by a hair. Not too wet I proceeded, bubble & light checks ok, down the run. As we approach the eye, I signal to Sam that I hear a bubble from my right post which Sam confirmed. Up the stairs again, reg off, reset reg, new bubble check ok.
Off we head down the eye and as I approach the entrance, suddenly no primary light. Groan!
I thumbed Sam. Even though I had anothe primary in the truck, a series of three annoying distractions makes for a distracted diver waiting for the next thing to go wrong. I was done cafe diving for the day.
Sam & I headed to lunch at Alice's.

There is always another day to dive

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

I envy you the lunch with Sam most of all :)

Last dive I thumbed was with NetDoc. We did the first dive and noticed some issues with the other pair of divers on the boat. NetDoc wasn't feeling well and decided to thumb the second dive. Wise choice number one.

That left me with two options. Sit on the boat and enjoy visiting with NetDoc or get in the water with two people that I didn't consider safe divers. They had the right to make their decision about diving. I made the right decision for me not to join them. I had a lovely long relaxing surface interval. The only stress came as the boat crew struggled to get the pair to follow their directions on how to board safely.

Sometimes you need to call your dive because somebody else isn't wise enough to call theirs. I am still happy with my decision and somewhat surprised that the crew managed to get them back on board alive and uninjured!

Thank you for the post. From a purely recreational perspective, I found this post to be one of the best i have read in a while thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom