Article: Is the Dive Watch Dead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let’s be honest – dive watches just look cool! They send a visual message to others that we are seekers of dangerous and thrilling underwater adventures.

you said it. it is as much of a lifestyle statement as it is a tool. I have about a dozen. Although my working watch is an old seik0, purhased as sears in 1982. it has been on nearly every dive that I have made in the intervening 33 years. I like the look and feel of the watches. Computers have their place, but watches are timeless. I have two nephews whom are learning to dive or dive. I have given each a dive watch in hopes of keeping the tradition going.

But! If you talk to anyone that knows a lot about watches, they'll tell you Rolex is a piece of crap for the money.

I once had a neighbor who was an exchange student from Switzerland. I still remember her saying "only whores wear Rolexes"... :D

People who use some sort of phone or computer to see what time it is might as well be from another planet as far as I am concerned.

So you wouldn't be interested in one of these...?

Petrel_Apple_Watch.jpg

Does it plug into my rebreather?

Haha I sold my rEvo for something better. :) I've also never owned anything Apple. Well, except for the few that are in the fridge.

My husband and I are two beginner to intermediate vacation divers. Recently in Curacao we dove in and both our Pucks stopped working, batteries dead. Husband had dive watch so using our depth gauges we dove no deeper than 50 feet for 50 minutes. Dive would have been a disappointing bust that day if not for the watch. Plus, for those of us with older eyes, they make watch faces that are easier to read than the cheaper dive computers.

Nice.

I have the same watch. I basically haven't taken it off for nearly two decades. It is the James bond watch but cooler because it is Titanium and black not stainless steel and blue.

Have I taken it 100 meters deep in a cave, yes
Have i taken it a mile back in a cave, yes
Have i worn it on six continents, yes
Will my daughter get it, yes.
Is it an extravagance, yes.
Do I regret the $3k it cost NO.

Am I pissed off that the tiny stainless steel pin in the expansion part of the band broke and cost me $800 to fix? HELL YEAH.

Whenever I see a Rolex I think: 'Did you buy that in Bangkok for fifty bucks?'

Whenever I see an Omega, I think of the first Omega I bought, a second hand silver pocket watch dated 1918, inscribed with the words "welcome home son"

Now after 10,000 hours underwater I would tell my candidates to get a G-Shock, read history and learn about the 120/90 rule.

---------- Post added November 27th, 2015 at 12:44 PM ----------

Nice.

I have the same watch. I basically haven't taken it off for nearly two decades. It is the James bond watch but cooler because it is Titanium and black not stainless steel and blue.

Have I taken it 100 meters deep in a cave, yes
Have i taken it a mile back in a cave, yes
Have i worn it on six continents, yes
Will my daughter get it, yes.
Is it an extravagance, yes.
Do I regret the $3k it cost NO.

Am I pissed off that the tiny stainless steel pin in the expansion part of the band broke and cost me $800 to fix? HELL YEAH.

Whenever I see a Rolex I think: 'Did you buy that in Bangkok for fifty bucks?'

Whenever I see an Omega, I think of the first Omega I bought, a second hand silver pocket watch dated 1918, inscribed with the words "welcome home son"

Now after 10,000 hours underwater I would tell my candidates to get a G-Shock, read history and learn about the 120/90 rule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom